Stanley #1
A #2 is hard enough to use, can't imagine a #1...and I don't have big hands.

Ed
(02-04-2024, 05:40 PM)EdL Wrote: A #2 is hard enough to use, can't imagine a #1...and I don't have big hands.

Ed

But it would look nice on the mantel
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I have doubts I will ever run across a No 1 Stanley plane in the wild, 
and it is even more unlikely that I would ever need one. 

But, having said that, if I ever do own one, I think it would live here on
my desk, just to look at.  

Smile
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Don’t give up hope of finding one in the wild. I found one once at a garage sale. There was an old carpenter’s tool chest in the corner that wasn’t even part of the sale. I opened the lid and there it was.
What Tom said....
Loml scored me an almost perfect #2 for $2 at a garage sale, it was the only tool in the sale.

Ed
(02-06-2024, 07:37 PM)EdL Wrote: What Tom said....
Loml scored me an almost perfect #2 for $2 at a garage sale, it was the only tool in the sale.

Ed

In 1995 I snagged a Chaplin #1 for $20.00 at a flea market..kept it for about a year and was finally persuaded to sell it for $900.00...The buyer was the secretary of the Area 9, MWTCA..He kept it for a year or so and sold it for $5,000...A few years later I got a call from a close friend and collector who told me my little plane was going on Martin Donnelly's online tool auction that day...I watched it sell for the sum of $26,500.00...I have a coffee table book with a picture of the Little Chaplin #1. One tool in that auction sold for almost 30K !!!!! The Chaplin was second highest.
Crazy There's a jeweler in Australia that has a collection of Chaplins. I posted the photo of HIS plane {that I got online}, on Woodnet and he saw it and chewed me out about it on this forum..I didn't realize he had the photo copyrighted. Admiral may remember that incident.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

It has sweetheart iron.
okay... picture didn't go through
Trying to choose photos from my phone. The picture is there until I push on post reply
(02-07-2024, 09:47 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...............
In 1995 I snagged a Chaplin #1 for $20.00 at a flea market..kept it for about a year and was finally persuaded to sell it for $900.00...The buyer was the secretary of the Area 9, MWTCA..He kept it for a year or so and sold it for $5,000...A few years later I got a call from a close friend and collector who told me my little plane was going on Martin Donnelly's online tool auction that day...I watched it sell for the sum of $26,500.00...I have a coffee table book with a picture of the Little Chaplin #1. One tool in that auction sold for almost 30K !!!!! The Chaplin was second highest.
Crazy There's a jeweler in Australia that has a collection of Chaplins. I posted the photo of HIS plane {that I got online}, on Woodnet and he saw it and chewed me out about it on this forum..I didn't realize he had the photo copyrighted. Admiral may remember that incident.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

Wow, that's an Antiques Roadshow worthy story.  

I knew a guy who stumbled onto a Cesar Celor moulding plane at an auction and got it for $5.00.  He later sold it, but I don't know for how much.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?