Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,419
» Latest member: V. Woods
» Forum threads: 65,044
» Forum posts: 1,007,352

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 381 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 378 Guest(s)
Google, Facebook, Bing

Latest Threads
The Plane has landed
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: BpB123
4 hours ago
» Replies: 16
» Views: 558
Whatever happened to Dere...
Last Post: Derek Cohen
7 hours ago
» Replies: 23
» Views: 1,129
Tree of Life
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: jteneyck
9 hours ago
» Replies: 8
» Views: 331
Wood Haul found on the si...
Last Post: bpatters69
9 hours ago
» Replies: 7
» Views: 462
SawStop PCS with Overarm ...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: Johnny Currado
Yesterday, 11:38 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 151
New Shop Photos - Randy C
Last Post: museumguy
Yesterday, 06:52 AM
» Replies: 18
» Views: 781
Some saws (on request)
Last Post: iclark
05-03-2024, 11:42 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 299
Build Thread for my Broth...
Forum: Woodturning
Last Post: iclark
05-03-2024, 11:26 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 832
Interesting counterpoint ...
Last Post: C. in Indy
05-03-2024, 04:46 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 1,162
A Project for May?
Last Post: bandit571
05-03-2024, 02:12 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 287

Something to build, for Christmas
Posted by: bandit571 - 11-03-2020, 11:19 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (38)

Seems the family Christmas Exchange is upon us.....and I want to build a Blanket/Hope Chest for the one on my list.....

Research:  just finished watching a Norm Abram version being made....Season 1, Episode 4,  Blanket Chest.......and thinking HOW would I build it in MY shop....

have a stash of 3/4" x 6" Ash planks in the house, now..
Cool  

About 25 bft of Quarter sawn Ash..
Cool

might be enough...if not, I know where a bit more is.....Paid $20 for this stack...shortest ones are 3' long....

So...might start with some pieces for the corners, then see about the rest of the side frames....need to glue up a few panels, too....

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin

Print this item

Want to install jet bathtub
Posted by: rwe2156 - 11-03-2020, 11:03 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (15)

I'm thinking "filters" and "on demand water heater".

I have well water (no filtration) and a 40gallon gas water heater 30 feet away.

Sound like a good idea?

Print this item

Cordless Drill-Driver Recommendation
Posted by: SteveS - 11-03-2020, 10:37 AM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (20)

While I have gotten my monies' worth out of my 1993 9.6V Makita, I think it's time for an upgrade. While I don't think I need an impact driver I'm open to that option. Mostly I use it for drilling wood and metal and driving lots of screws. I also have use it for power sanding and buffing for woodturning on occasion. I don't want one made in China if possible. Max I want to spend on a driver/charger/battery kit is $300.

DeWalt advertises some of their stuff made in USA, but has their quality remained good?

Print this item

Grrrippers losing their grrrip?
Posted by: Ruffturn® - 11-03-2020, 10:32 AM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (16)

I'd always been a big fan of using Grrrippers on the TS & RT as they had always worked well. I took a hiatus from woodworking for a few years and have discovered that the "grippy" part is now actually kind of slick. Does anyone know if there's a way to restore the tackiness? If there isn't a good way, I'll replace the outer pieces. I'd like to avoid that expense if I can because I'm currently laid off and awaiting retirement, so monetary resources are quite limited.

Print this item

Charity Auction
Posted by: humanrace - 11-03-2020, 12:21 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (2)

Is there going to be a charity Christmas auction this year.  I have a few woodworking books printed from 1880s to 1929 that I should do something with before I die and they get dumped.

Print this item

pen blanks
Posted by: jcousins2 - 11-02-2020, 10:18 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (1)

SOLD
these were never followed through with and are still available

cleaning things out -  - 21 pen blanks - 6 black walnut, 6 sapele, 5 curly maple, 4 mahogany.
yours if you pay shipping. need to use a medium flat rate box - 13.20

[Image: attachment.php?aid=27694] [Image: resize.png]

Print this item

How would you do this joint. Horizontal router
Posted by: jussi - 11-02-2020, 05:26 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (3)

I needed to make a mortise on the curved section of the rail. The only way I could think of is establish a wall with a slot cutter and then chisel the rest.

I literally spent an hour trying to think of a purely power tool solution. I have both dominos and a jds multi router but none had long enough bits to reach the wall when referenced off the flat side. Am I missing something obvious? Is there a power tool solution?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Kitchen knives...which ones to buy or build?
Posted by: Scott W - 11-02-2020, 09:48 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (34)

I am looking to get my wife some knives. What we have is ok but as I am becoming more active in the kitchen I see that she could use some better stuff.  I had thought about vintage and rehandling them or buy a few excellent Japanese knives. 

If money isn't an issue (it always is but I could start with one or two if they are way too much)...what brand(s) do you suggest?

I had thought about vixtorinox as I like their pocket knives and add a couple Damascus steel Japanese knives.

Also I saw a Chris Schwartz article years ago about storing cutting tools on a magnetic strip would magnetize them...has anyone seen that to be true?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Print this item

Source for edge sander belts
Posted by: richtes - 11-02-2020, 07:33 AM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (5)

I've recently gotten a dust collector going so finally can use the 6x108 belt sander but the only belt it came with was old and broke. 

Does anyone have a supplier that they've liked the performance and durability of the belts?

Thanks,
Rich

Print this item

kodiak sharpening system
Posted by: joezjr - 10-31-2020, 06:06 PM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (2)

any one use it and do you like it

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.