Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Before Web 2.0

Cheers
Pedder

I never did well in math.
No  Should have said 2006. 
Chris Schwarz then published his first workbench book, and I built the German bench with a twin-screw vice.  This forum was consumed with that ideology, which is now so sorely missed.
(07-17-2024, 06:03 PM)wing nut Wrote: I guess with so little response this site,  especialy this thread, is mostly dead now, I think I will sign off now, I know, don't let the door hit your butt on the way out.

I would like to first apologize for not posting earlier; it's always nice to get feedback on your work. Thanks to you and others for taking the time to post pictures of your projects - beautiful work and I really enjoyed the photos. I noticed you mentioned that the drawer sides on one of the projects was made from reclaimed material. Always good to repurpose old things that still have value IMO. I made almost an entire workbench out of reclaimed material from shipping pallets I collected over time. Am redoing that bench right now and will post some pics when I'm finished.

I would like to encourage you and others who build furniture on a regular basis to continue to post the photo journals of those projects. I also, along with I'm sure at least hundreds if not thousands, visit this site almost daily and enjoy the pictures and stories. Heretofore, my projects have been mostly in the home improvement area. I'll try to be a more active participant. 

Doug
(07-20-2024, 09:06 AM)Tapper Wrote: I would like to first apologize for not posting earlier; it's always nice to get feedback on your work. Thanks to you and others for taking the time to post pictures of your projects - beautiful work and I really enjoyed the photos. I noticed you mentioned that the drawer sides on one of the projects was made from reclaimed material. Always good to repurpose old things that still have value IMO. I made almost an entire workbench out of reclaimed material from shipping pallets I collected over time. Am redoing that bench right now and will post some pics when I'm finished.

I would like to encourage you and others who build furniture on a regular basis to continue to post the photo journals of those projects. I also, along with I'm sure at least hundreds if not thousands, visit this site almost daily and enjoy the pictures and stories. Heretofore, my projects have been mostly in the home improvement area. I'll try to be a more active participant. 

Doug

Thanks for the kind response, its better then getting your butt chewed out.
Currently I'm building split barn doors for a closet out of pine and makore although I'm not getting much done this year,  This year we're doing a lot of travel seeing national parks and whatnot, and the shop is so hot this time of year in Al.
(07-18-2024, 09:06 AM)bandit571 Wrote: "So little response to this site"?   Look in the mirror...

Maybe IF MORE people would start to post their OWN items here...maybe all those Nay-sayers will gang up on all the new posts....

Until that happens, this is just Motel 6, and I am just keeping the lights on for you.

Complain about the content?   POST the Content YOU are interested in, then....

What tools have YOU bought lately?  How do they preform for YOU.
I havn't bought tools for years what I have will be good enough until I take that final journey to meet Jusus
What Projects have YOU done, or, are working on?
Several proj are posted above over the last 3 years
What Lumber are YOU using?  (Right now, I am using Ash)
120 yr old red maple, hard maple, black walnut, claro walnut, mahogony, makore, chimpinqua, pine, paudak few others whatever I find at auctions, or craigslist.
Yep, I am calling people out.

And..don't give that line about not enough time to take Photos....I spent LESS than 2 hours IN my shop...that INCLUDES taking all them lovely Photos...and, while I am then sitting down at the computer, having a cold one, and trying to cool myself down...I process all those photos.   Take the bloody camera along to the shop, the next time you happen to stumble into it...and MAYBE either show off what you are working on, or the shop you are working in.  Maybe start a "Project in Progress" thread? It is not THAT hard to do, as even I can do it.  As for me?

Wir haben zu arbeiten
and yes we have work to do
(07-12-2024, 06:14 PM)wing nut Wrote: sorry for a couple of dups,
panels reclaimed red maple out of 1890s bankbarn out of pittsburg pa, claro walnut from PNW, hard maple PNW, black walnut prob tenn.

Wingnut, all of your displayed work is outstanding.  Excellent joinery and aesthetics.  I don't post much anymore because I don't practice the craft regularly.  Even with what I produced for family over the years, I think that only a fraction of the furniture I made will be in use long-term.  Woodworking is it's own reward.
For me it's the Woodnet platform. It's horrible and outdated text based format. The only one worse than this is FineWoodworking. Posting pics is here cumbersome compared to other forums. There are no formatting choices. Little things like there's no way to "like" a post.

As to project posts, I've about quit on all forums due to lack of interest. Maybe it's me or the way I write, I dunno. But I know I've put in a lot of time putting together a build thread explaining the steps, pausing during the project to set up a photo shoot, and a few hours to edit pics, only to get a meager # of responses. Never any questions about how I did something or why I did it a certain way.....It's not an ego thing, I'm not looking for attaboys, I just want to show what I can do and for people to take some interest!

OTOH, there will be an 8 page thread with 70 posts on a saw blade question or shop design, and forget about an electrical question!.

My point is, and I think this is true across the 3 forums I'm on, people are more interested in talking about tools and machines, drill bits and router tables han they are posting projects. Sure there's a place for that, but those of us who are into the actual work, it's a bit disappointing.
Thumbs Up 
(07-31-2024, 03:07 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: For me it's the Woodnet platform. It's horrible and outdated text based format.  The only one worse than this is FineWoodworking.  Posting pics is here cumbersome compared to other forums.  There are no formatting choices.  Little things like there's no way to "like" a post. 

As to project posts, I've about quit on all forums due to lack of interest.  Maybe it's me or the way I write, I dunno.  But I know I've put in a lot of time putting together a build thread explaining the steps, pausing during the project to set up a photo shoot, and a few hours to edit pics, only to get a meager # of responses.  Never any questions about how I did something or why I did it a certain way.....It's not an ego thing, I'm not looking for attaboys, I just want to show what I can do and for people to take some interest! 

OTOH, there will be an 8 page thread with 70 posts on a saw blade question or shop design, and forget about an electrical question!.

My point is, and I think this is true across the 3 forums I'm on,  people are more interested in talking about tools and machines, drill bits and router tables han they are posting projects.  Sure there's a place for that, but those of us who are into the actual work, it's a bit disappointing.
Well said.  Format definitely governs content quality, and you pointed several weaknesses here that were not obvious to me.

I do have a relevant question, I think:  What is the state of the new hand-tool business these days?  Has it followed the decline in hand tool forum participation; or is it just that forums aren't relevent?
Bug 
My woodworking and wood forum participation has been declining since I closed my custom kitchen cabinet and staircase business in January 2010. Went back OTR and that pretty much shut hobbies and other part time work/projects down. When you are gone anywhere from 2 to 7 weeks from home driving a truck, come home dead tired, there is zero interest in firing the 3500 sqft shop up to do a project.
Then dealing with this ill set up forum software that no one seems to want to fix, nor knows how to fix, makes it almost totally un-interesting to come here much anymore.
Then there's still the few here that seem to just have to attack and ridicule your posts. How you post, what you say, what you don't say. Pitiful.......
I have the highest viewed thread that's on the forum, and the last year or so it's been of no interest to most. So what's the point in posting and bumping the thread when there isn't hardly any responses anymore.
It's lack of interest I believe, and these dinosaur forums aren't long to stay.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

...... ...... "And .......

......O o o H Pifsphewy!!!!!

I was going to say something but was interrupted, and now I forgot what.....?
Crazy
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
Hello to all the old friends.

As this used to be my favorite space on the internet might as well post a reply since I happened by today.

The forum software is terrible for mobile.... and that is where all the growth will come from.

The site does not support immage hosting and in this day and age that's insane.

Many of the old big name draws are gone. And the new ones are on social or other platforms.

And the personal attacks run unchecked as can be seen in this thread....

But I still woodwork regularly and post on a forum behind a pay wall with much better software and less drama. And I still value the things I learned here, so for those who contributed to that thank you.