Stereo in shop
(10-09-2017, 05:09 PM)Aram Wrote: A little off topic, maybe. My new shop is a 30 x 40 outbuilding. It's a single room, so my hand tool area is not physically separated from dust from my power tools. I have a good DC system and an air cleaner, but still, there is always some dust.

I am thinking about putting in a decent two channel stereo system (cd player, integrated or receiver, and a pair of floorstanders). Not sure the best way to handle the dust issue. I don't want to build a total enclosure, for heat management reasons. Any suggestions about a good way to keep dust out but let the amp soak in its own heat?

Thanks.

Well I also like to have a radio on , but after reading all the replies on this thread I am not seeing the issue I have . I just used a regular am/fm radio , analog . Well it just stopped working one day , so we found a replacement at a garage sale . Larger JVC boom box . All was well but reception was not the greatest . So tried to add another antenna for better reception . Worked some but still not the greatest . Somewhere along the line I got the idea I needed new lighting , so bought several new 4' LED lights and this totally screwed up the radio . No matter what I did could not get a station . I moved the radio into the house away from the LED lights and viola perfect reception . Never knew this would happen , or heard this from anyone else . Gary
I ran a wire up in the attic, all the way to the peak, away from the flourescent lights for an antenna.

Yes

Ed
(10-12-2017, 09:03 PM)EdL Wrote: I ran a wire up in the attic, all the way to the peak, away from the flourescent lights for an antenna.

Yes

Ed

I was just going to suggest that.  Coax to a remote antenna.  Directional if the signal is weak, and if stations are all in the same direction, or at opposite directions but with an antenna with enough rear gain.  'Omni' if in a strong signal area.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-13-2017, 07:25 AM)TDKPE Wrote: I was just going to suggest that.  Coax to a remote antenna.  Directional if the signal is weak, and if stations are all in the same direction, or at opposite directions but with an antenna with enough rear gain.  'Omni' if in a strong signal area.  
Cool

Kinda what I did , my shop is in an attached garage , my basement is where I moved the radio to . It had to be 15 feet from the garage ( or LED lights ) before I had good reception . I just ran speaker wires out to garage and placed speakers above work area . So far works great . Gary
In the old cars and trucks, we used to just install a condenser (From the points and "condenser") in the positive wire to the radio to stop the static.

Perhaps your static is actually coming through the 120v wires?
(10-13-2017, 09:23 PM)daddo Wrote: In the old cars and trucks, we used to just install a condenser (From the points and "condenser") in the positive wire to the radio to stop the static.

Perhaps your static is actually coming through the 120v wires?

No the static goes away when I turn the lights off . At least I can use it now . Gary
Now that you say LED, I have some LED bulbs in our bedroom and now when our weather radio goes off, if I turn on the lights I can't hear the radio over the static. Turn the lights off and it's fine. The CFLs that were in there before had no issue.

I was thinking of switching the shop over to LED.. might have to get one as a test.
I have FM in a couple of rooms in the house, each with it's own external antenna. There's nothing like putting something outdoors for better reception and minimize interference from inside appliances.

The cheapest one that I installed was a whip FM antenna that cost about $100, but with co-ax cable, termination, wall plate outlets, lightening protection, and miscellaneous hardware, the price about doubled. It may seem high cost for someone just experimenting, but the reception I got was amazing.

Here's a web page I created about this project. I experimented with the cable run here. Instead of having loose wires dangling over the side of the house, I ran the coax through a downspout...

Whip FM Antenna
Bill Schneider
I never allowed music in my shop.

Wanted 100% attention of my guys to be on their work and the dangerous
machinery with which they were working.

Break and lunch time they could plug in their head sets and so on.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
(10-16-2017, 04:06 PM)FloridaRetiree Wrote: I never allowed music in my shop.  

Wanted 100% attention of my guys to be on their work and the dangerous
machinery with which they were working.  

Break and lunch time they could plug in their head sets and so on.

I always thought the same thing , but mine is just background noise . Yeah you hear it but your not really jammin , ya know . Nice to have noise besides machines . I always where ear plugs any way . Gary