drawer lock joints strength
Ralph may have answered it, but I was going to ask what the difference is between a "locking miter" and a drawer lock joint. To me they are the same thing.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-16-2019, 05:16 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Ralph may have answered it, but I was going to ask what the difference is between a "locking miter" and a drawer lock joint. To me they are the same thing.

The shape they cut at the extents of the board are certainly different and depending on who made the bit, the "inside" of the joint will have a different shape.

From Rockler : 

Drawer lock 

Locking miter

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Sorry, I miss typed what I meant to say, I know the difference between lock miter and drawer lock. What I meant to say was what is the difference between a "locking rabbet" (mentioned by rwe2156) and the drawer lock...to me those are the same. Apologies for my typing getting ahead of my brain.

PS: my typing is really slow, too. That must say something.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-16-2019, 11:28 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Sorry, I miss typed what I meant to say, I know the difference between lock miter and drawer lock. What I meant to say was what is the difference between a "locking rabbet" (mentioned by rwe2156) and the drawer lock...to me those are the same. Apologies for my typing getting ahead of my brain.

PS: my typing is really slow, too. That must say something.

Fred, the two joints are VERY similar. 

The “locking rabbet” joint is cut strictly on the table saw. It has a similar overall profile as the drawer lock joint shown above, but all the faces are straight and the corners 90 degrees. 

The drawer lock bit creates much the same profile, but adds an angled section which I find helps pull the joint together during clamping. 

I have a consulting client that uses the drawer lock set up for all the retail builds they do. High end jobs get dovetailed drawers, but retail gets remodeled every 5 years or so, so there is no need nor budget for high end drawer boxes. 

We built a dedicated router table, the drawer stock is prepped in long strips and cut to length, then both halves of the joint run across the same bit set up, one horizontal, one vertical. And no changes needed for drawer height.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.