Skunks
(09-29-2019, 10:31 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Yea that is some damage for sure. Saw skunk last night and seems we have a new member because it was not the grand daddy. This guy laughed at me all night. Lights do not scare him, nor noise or anything and I watched as he just tore up all my freshly planted grass. I wish I had more than one trap. I am really tired of this.

We would have trails of those mounds every morning. Neighbor got one with the pellet gun and our cats got to gather to corner one so one could dig and grab him. Got pics of that somewhere.

I gave up on grass this year. It hasn't rained in months except for one day in August which never ever happens. I really need to wait until I can get a sprinkler system in and it's too late to start grass here as summer grasses are started in the spring. But with half an acre to water and only a reliable 10gpm from the well it takes a bunch of zones. We are still in the mid 90s. 96* and it's still only 2:30 so will gain a few degrees still and it was a low of 78*...
Well I too am giving up on the lawn to an extent because it too has not rained here much at all this whole summer. One thing I am leaning to for the next time this happens and am sure it will I am getting a BB gun. I need to get info as to what is a good one that does not require firearms permits and all that hoopla. I will not put this effort in trapping again. I will pass them onto the neighbors. 35 years living here and never seen this.
John T.
(09-29-2019, 02:52 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: One thing I am leaning to for the next time this happens and am sure it will I am getting a BB gun. I need to get info as to what is a good one that does not require firearms permits and all that hoopla.

For better or worse, NJ has one of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, and you will absolutely need a permit to stay within the law.  Explicitly by statute, BB guns and pellet guns are classified as "firearms" in NJ; for a rifle style air gun, you need to get a Firearms ID Card at your local police department, fill out a form, pay a modest fee, pay to be fingerprinted and give three references of good character who will be sent a form to fill out saying you are not a drugie, insane or otherwise a whacko.  It takes a month or so, depending on your local PD.  When that is issued, you can buy any number of long arms without further paperwork/permits, whether air rifles or traditional firearms.  If you want a handgun, there is a separate handgun application to process once you have a FID, yes, even for BB/pellet guns.  If you don't get a FID, and say, go to PA and buy a pellet rifle, and bring it into NJ and somehow get caught with it, you will likely go to jail.  And if its a pellet/BB handgun, you will certainly go to jail.  Yes, its that serious.  Then you have to check your local ordinances about discharges of firearms, some prohibit, others require a certain distance from residences, etc.

Actually, and I'm quite serious, you might be better off learning to shoot a bow, no permits required, and there are also some distance from residences requirements.  You'll have the winter to practice!

EDIT:  Actually, a crossbow is a lot easier to use and takes less practice.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(09-30-2019, 08:33 AM)Admiral Wrote: For better or worse, NJ has one of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, and you will absolutely need a permit to stay within the law.  Explicitly by statute, BB guns and pellet guns are classified as "firearms" in NJ; for a rifle style air gun, you need to get a Firearms ID Card at your local police department, fill out a form, pay a modest fee, pay to be fingerprinted and give three references of good character who will be sent a form to fill out saying you are not a drugie, insane or otherwise a whacko.  It takes a month or so, depending on your local PD.  When that is issued, you can buy any number of long arms without further paperwork/permits, whether air rifles or traditional firearms.  If you want a handgun, there is a separate handgun application to process once you have a FID, yes, even for BB/pellet guns.  If you don't get a FID, and say, go to PA and buy a pellet rifle, and bring it into NJ and somehow get caught with it, you will likely go to jail.  And if its a pellet/BB handgun, you will certainly go to jail.  Yes, its that serious.  Then you have to check your local ordinances about discharges of firearms, some prohibit, others require a certain distance from residences, etc.

Actually, and I'm quite serious, you might be better off learning to shoot a bow, no permits required, and there are also some distance from residences requirements.  You'll have the winter to practice!

EDIT:  Actually, a crossbow is a lot easier to use and takes less practice.

Yea they changed that rule not long ago. I live within spitting distance to the police station and administration buildings. There are actually laws against some air rifles depending on velocity too. So some paint guns may not be legal either.

Caught #4 last night. That sucker went in the cage 3 different times during the night before he finally committed. How can an animal eat for 9 straight hours??? Tore up the back yard grass something fierce. He was the fiercest fighter of all and when in the cage he tried with all his might to open those doors. First time in 35 years living here have I ever seen this and hope to never see again. Was told by an exterminator today that because it has been so dry here the past 2 months and being I am watering in a new lawn with fresh seed, it attracts bugs such as crickets and worms and other things and that is what they are eating. I had enough. 
John T.
Up date #5 has been spotted last night. Will set trap tonight. Does this ever end??
John T.
I had 5 skunks there a week ago and didn't want to use the 222 in the middle of the night so I bought a nice pellet rifle.  I have not seen a one since maybe that is the answer.
(10-01-2019, 11:00 AM)fixtureman Wrote: I had 5 skunks there a week ago and didn't want to use the 222 in the middle of the night so I bought a nice pellet rifle.  I have not seen a one since maybe that is the answer.

Without jumping through hoops can not own one in NJ
John T.
(10-01-2019, 08:40 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Without jumping through hoops can not own one in NJ

I bet the black market for pellet guns is massive there....
(10-01-2019, 08:40 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Without jumping through hoops can not own one in NJ

You need someone from out of state to send you one as a gift.  I imagine Fedex would get it done
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Wink 
(10-01-2019, 09:45 PM)Bob10 Wrote: You need someone from out of state to send you one as a gift.  I imagine Fedex would get it done

Yes
John T.