Popular Woodworking Sloyd cabinet
(12-17-2019, 12:46 PM)Rob Young Wrote: The article on the PopWood web site is complete and has the drawings. Just be sure to get a good metal sheer so you can cut off the toes of the saws... 
Big Grin
Uhoh

You don't need a shear, just a carbide-tipped scriber to scribe a good deep groove.  Break the metal, clean up with a file.

Maybe, if this cabinet becomes popular, LN will start making "Sloyd-cabinet-length" saws.
(12-17-2019, 09:08 AM)mstens Wrote: The actual one in question? Meh, it's a 5 minute shot, by someone without any real education in photography, with a cellphone .. and it shows. There was a time, not so long ago, this wouldn't have even been considered by a photo editor for publication.

Fine Woodworking in general features the best photographs among all woodworking magazines that cross my desk (I don't subscribe to any, but the club I belong to does).

This thread once again affirms that you can't cheat with second-rate materials as some readers are combing every word, every line and, in this case, every page with a magnifying glass.

Simon
(12-17-2019, 04:06 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Fine Woodworking in general features the best photographs among all woodworking magazines that cross my desk (I don't subscribe to any, but the club I belong to does).

This thread once again affirms that you can't cheat with second-rate materials as some readers are combing every word, every line and, in this case, every page with a magnifying glass.

Simon

I have an MFA in photography (and used to do this type of stuff), somethings are just patently obvious
Wink
mike
I ain't a Communist, necessarily, but I've been in the red all my life
So.....aside from a bad camera job...what can we learn from the Tool Chest?    I happen to have two "panel saws" that actually will fit in that box.   Without doing any cutting of steel.   Maybe learn to build the box to FIT the saws?  Some tool chests actually had slots/ notches to allow a saw's toes to stick out a bit.  

Open the lid...
Winkgrin

Better view?
Confused

Maybe some ideas?   Have since outgrown this one, anyway...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
If you look REALLY closely, you'll notice that the handsaw on the left isn't even hanging on the hook. Its toe is sitting on the bottom of the tool well in the benchtop, and the handle doesn't quite seat into the hook. The saw on the left has its handle hanging firmly in the hook, although its toe also drops below the door.

It looks to me as if one of two things happened. Either the cabinet was built with a different pair of handsaws in mind (and maybe the builder/editor/photographer wanted nicer looking saws in the cover photo), or the cabinet was built as an exact replica of the original with no consideration of the actual tools it would contain.

A magazine that publishes how-to articles has got to understand that many readers are going to be paying extremely close attention to every detail in every photograph. That's how you build a project from a magazine article. From an editorial perspective, that's just kind of sloppy work.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I usually find an article or two that justifies keeping it for future reference. This issue was the first I can remember that went right into the recycling.
John
(12-17-2019, 09:38 PM)jstraw Wrote: I usually find an article or two that justifies keeping it for future reference.  This issue was the first I can remember that went right into the recycling.
Donate such magazines to the thrift store instead; some beginner will find helpful information in it.

I never expected my comment to get three pages of comments!
It's probably just seasonal movement. In a couple of months they'll fit just fine.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -Red Green
Seasonal movement: saw plate expands x cm as a result of humidity change of y %......

Simon
(12-17-2019, 03:30 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: You don't need a shear, just a carbide-tipped scriber to scribe a good deep groove.  Break the metal, clean up with a file.

Maybe, if this cabinet becomes popular, LN will start making "Sloyd-cabinet-length" saws.

Big, giant, open-throat shear would be loads of fun!

But you are right. I've done the above to break down kinked basket cases into scraper material.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin