Help: Lathe (What and Where to buy?)
(07-16-2020, 12:39 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I had the Delta 46 460 and loved it and I have to say the Oneway grinding Jig is great to.

If you are close to Council Bluffs Iowa I would be most happy to help you.

Heh, I wish. I'm quite a bit away's down here in Texas. But thank you for the offer.

Wow! I gotta say I didn't expect THIS much response. Thank you to everyone who replied. I have read everyone's comments so even if I don't directly reply back to you, just know I'm thankful for the advice and help. I really appreciate it!

I have held off on buying anything just yet. It's currently loaded in my Amazon cart but I also called around the area here. The two Woodcraft's here don't have that Delta version. And if I'm being honest... I was kind of put off by both gentlemen I spoke to, they weren't very helpful and felt like they just wanted to get off the phone. I dunno, maybe they were busy.

I checked Craigslist and the only Lathes I saw around here were ridiculously huge ones that cost over $20,000. eBay wasn't much help either. Also checked Home Depot, Lowes, and a couple other hardware stores. Amazon still seems to be cheapest. Too bad Lowe's doesn't have it though, I get 10% off there (military discount).

Anyway, I'm probably going to get the Midi Lathe as suggested and look into the extender. I also read too about buying the tools individually but the cost really adds up that way. And the grinder I think I'll stick with what I picked. Seems like a good one. Thanks everyone!!
This place has Oneway stuff on sale right now I think it is 10% or 15% off

https://www.thewoodturningstore.com/on-s...FidU1n0%3D
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-16-2020, 03:03 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: This place has Oneway stuff on sale right now I think it is 10% or 15% off

Thank you Arlin.

One last thing if anyone happens to read this: Do you recommend a face shield while using the lathe? Or can just regular eye wear work?
(07-16-2020, 04:00 PM)themoon Wrote: Thank you Arlin.

One last thing if anyone happens to read this: Do you recommend a face shield while using the lathe? Or can just regular eye wear work?

If you scrape, definitely.  If you slice, a shaving may never rise to your chest level.  Even with faceplate turnings.  
And you don't fog  and scratch it up and fiddle so often you wonder why you're wearing it.  

As to tools, get a cheap set.  There will be a couple-three scrapers there that you can regrind into straight chisels or beading tools.  Carbon steel ok if you slice, and you can freshen the edge with a stone/slip easily.  No excuses for not having the best edge you can for final shaving.  Once you've learned the moves, you should get that big roughing gouge  (2") and a 1/8" fang-type parting tool before you turn in good carbon tools for similar HSS types. They, regrettably will not be included in starter sets.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I have a grizzly lathe and it has done everything I've asked of it. The 14X20 looks like a good machine at probably at 2/3rds price over the jet you showed. I also suggest the harbor freight chisels. Get the red handled ones, if my memory serves me they are the windsor design HSS steel. I learned to sharpen on these and I wasn't grinding away expensive metal needlessly. I've got better tools now but I still grab the HF tools from time to time. Not to mention I reground them to fit different occasional uses.
I started on a Grizzly GO462 full size lathe with stand. When I bought it a friend told me you can turn small stuff on a big lathe but not big stuff on a small lathe. Lastly I sharpen on a benchtop belt sander with a 6 inch disc and a 4X36 belt. It takes off less metal and my results are sharp. I picked it up in a pawn shop for $25 and use it to this day. 
Enjoy this hobby even though as they say it is a slippery slope. I certainly do and my wife turns small stuff also.
That Grizzly 1420 does look awesome but is there an extension? I read a review that said that there was not one available??? That would be a deal breaker for me if I was just getting started.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(07-16-2020, 04:00 PM)themoon Wrote: Thank you Arlin.

The Uvex face shield is a good one to start with.

You want a good high-impact face shield and safety glasses. The safety glasses can be prescription. With the face shield, you do not necessarily need the side guards on the glasses.

There are those who say that they do not need a face shield because they never have shavings reach their face. As long as they are expert, stand out of the line of danger, never cross the line of danger to reach the power or speed switch, and never have a blank shatter; they are correct for them.

If you are going to apply finish on the lathe, then using a cheapy face shield will keep the spatter off your face. CA glue on the UVEX shield is annoying.

Also, do not use Windex (or other ammoniated cleanser) to clean the transparent part of the face shield. Mine cracked at one edge in the area that the Windex collected in.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-16-2020, 09:43 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: When you said you had to ask for permission I quit reading right there.

Then why reply?
(07-17-2020, 06:16 AM)WxMan Wrote: Then why reply?

I shouldn't have.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(07-17-2020, 08:19 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: When you said you had to ask for permission I quit reading right there.

I do not know if you have been married or now but I am glad my wife takes care of the money.  She knows IF I can get things for the vets or get something else hence (Permission).  I AM 100% man of the house but greatly respect the advise of my wife and I believe it makes me more of a man.

For him I say Good Job.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.