Anti-bacterial UV furnace lamp opinions
(04-18-2020, 09:08 PM)blackhat Wrote: They work.  Sorta, kinda, mostly, sometimes.  Effectiveness is determined by numerous factors.  They have a high maintenance cost and limited effectiveness on some pathogens.  Unfortunately, this virus appears to be relatively immune to readily available residential scale systems.  They are helpful in reducing some exposures but I would not recommend one without knowing a great deal more about your circumstances and what you have for equipment.  Yes, I have installed them and had measureable positive results but ........

That's one of the things I'm concerned abut...not so much the cost, but just the fact that I'd be making service calls all the time. But my concerns go beyond just the Covid problem, although that's what got me thinking about this whole thing. But this house we have has a very well designed HVAC distribution system with returns and multiple vents in each of the major rooms, first time we've had that in quite a few years, and we leave the blower run 24/7....so I'm thinking that would increase the positive effects.
(04-18-2020, 11:32 PM)JosephP Wrote: This is not an endorsement from me...but it we were high risk, I'd certainly consider it for not all that much money (when you are talking health care related...).  I'm just passing on what a friend shared.

Thanks for the links, that's an interesting looking device. I'm not sure that's what me dealer has, but I may ask about it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
By high maintenance, I mean the bulbs have a finite (define short) life and require regular replacement.  The bulbs themselves are not cheap but it is normally a DIY issue.  Sounds like you may benefit from a UV system, continuous, preferably low speed, circulation being a major part of effectiveness. particularly in a long straight section of duct with high internal reflectiveness.  Internal insulation,  fibreglass board duct or flex is pointless from a UV perspective.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(04-19-2020, 11:25 AM)blackhat Wrote: By high maintenance, I mean the bulbs have a finite (define short) life and require regular replacement.  The bulbs themselves are not cheap but it is normally a DIY issue. 

Aww, gotcha. That wouldn't bother me as much if we got some extra protection from them. Thanks.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You do not want to "Ionize" your air. Ozone is an irritant to mucus membranes including the lungs.

The rate of speed of the air passing over the UV light means the particles must come within 1"-2" of the light for them to be destroyed during that time frame. You would need multiple lights.

It will of course be effective only in that air stream and when the blower is running. Contact surfaces in the house of course are not affected.

High intensity ones are used generally for commercial use drain pans and so on. They can damage plastics and wiring.

Just FYI.
(04-20-2020, 07:56 AM)daddo Wrote: You do not want to "Ionize" your air. Ozone is an irritant to mucus membranes including the lungs.

The rate of speed of the air passing over the UV light means the particles must come within 1"-2" of the light for them to be destroyed during that time frame. You would need multiple lights.

It will of course be effective only in that air stream and when the blower is running. Contact surfaces in the house of course are not affected.

High intensity ones are used generally for commercial use drain pans and so on. They can damage plastics and wiring.

Just FYI.
The one I linked advertises ozone free...

I was worried about the plastic drain degrading in the UV light.  I assume it is not UV stabilized - generally no reason to.  I asked (I think even here) and was told don't worry about it.  We've had it for a little over 2 years now, so I should check on that.  I assume it it has made it this long, it will probably keep going.
Joseph, I searched that link for a local RFG dealer, and to my chagrin there were only 2 listed for my locale, both a good distance away. One had a service map for hid area and I was clearly outside of it. The second appears to be someone who hung a shingle on his house....not uncommon in my area, but usually not the best approach to some things. I am intrigued by that device, but it doesn't look like it's available to me.
I wanted to come back and put a pin in this. I was having a humidifier installed and went ahead and bought a UV light for the furnace at the same time. After reading the above and doing all the searching I could over the last several months I concluded that they probably are not worth it for most folks, at least not based on evidence. Even so, with my wife's compromised immune system I felt that any chance it may help would make the installation worth it. the unit I bought is an Apco unit, and the recommendation is to replace the lamp every 2 years.
We had a discussion in the Basement a few weeks ago, that mentioned Phone Soap, a UV chamber for your cellphone.

I acually pre-ordered a Home Soap, which should ship out next month.

Hope that helps.

https://www.phonesoap.com/collections/all
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Phone Soap. Yup, LOML bought one. No idea if it works or not.

How in the world would one know???
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(08-14-2020, 11:11 PM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Phone Soap. Yup, LOML bought one.  No idea if it works or not.

How in the world would one know???

Belief in the technology, I guess.

Crazy
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]