Router Table and Router Table Fence
Derek,

I enjoyed your detail explanation and photos.

Where did you obtain the phenolic sub fences and the micro fence adjuster?

Roger in Texas
Quote:[Image: RTF14a.jpg]

Derek, no offense, the set-up is a thing of beauty, but the first thing I thought was, “Wow, look at those scratches, I bet that plate gets used a lot!”. It reminds me of my father-in-law’s handsaw he bought when he first started out as a carpenter and was handed down to me after his death.  After 50 years of use, you can see where he placed his index finger on the handle.
(09-11-2020, 11:42 AM)RogerD Wrote: Derek,

Roger in Texas

Roger, I purchased these in Australia, so you need to do a search for the US. Look for “ MDF/Phenolic”.  This is the same as used by JessEm and a few others. It is hard wearing and slick. I could have made something cheaper, but the set I purchased was only about $20, so not worth making. The same could be said for other components, such as the dust shroud. These are really inexpensive. The point being, as I pointed out at the start of the thread, a really nice, high quality fence can be had quite cheaply if you put it together yourself.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(09-11-2020, 02:45 PM)srv52761 Wrote: Derek, no offense, the set-up is a thing of beauty, but the first thing I thought was, “Wow, look at those scratches, I bet that plate gets used a lot!”. It reminds me of my father-in-law’s handsaw he bought when he first started out as a carpenter and was handed down to me after his death.  After 50 years of use, you can see where he placed his index finger on the handle.

Smile

The router plate has seen some use over about 5 years, which is when I purchased it. Before this I had a phenolic plate, which I sold along with my previous table saw (the router table was in the extension). Recently, when I began this current re-build, I purchased another phenolic plate thinking it would be nice to start with a clean slate. The phenolic plate arrived looking as bent as a banana. Useless. The anodised aluminium plate was still as flat as the day it was purchased. Everything gets scratched after a while, and this one is no exception, so I stuck with it. Like an old friend
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(09-11-2020, 07:48 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote:
Smile

The router plate has seen some use over about 5 years, which is when I purchased it. Before this I had a phenolic plate, which I sold along with my previous table saw (the router table was in the extension). Recently, when I began this current re-build, I purchased another phenolic plate thinking it would be nice to start with a clean slate. The phenolic plate arrived looking as bent as a banana. Useless. The anodised aluminium plate was still as flat as the day it was purchased. Everything gets scratched after a while, and this one is no exception, so I stuck with it. Like an old friend
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yes, I feel that way about many of my tools. “Ahh, time to use the coping saw, the one I used 45 years ago to cut the curves on the cradle when my son was born.”  Or my bench plane that was a present from that same son when he was ten.  You just sorta get attached, sort of a “thank you” for helping me do the things I enjoy.
(09-11-2020, 11:42 AM)RogerD Wrote: Derek,

Roger in Texas

Did I miss the answer to this one?

Doug
(09-11-2020, 10:13 PM)Tapper Wrote: Did I miss the answer to this one?

Doug

Doug, I did mention that I am still waiting to receive it (from China). I shall report back once it is received. 

Regards from Perth

Derek
(09-12-2020, 12:37 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Doug, I did mention that I am still waiting to receive it (from China). I shall report back once it is received. 

Regards from Perth

Derek

Sorry about that, Derek - will look forward to your report!

Doug
I'll let you know, Doug.

There are a few items to complete still, mainly with the dust collection.

Here are a few further photos for anyone wanting to build their own using the aluminium extrusion (note that this is essentially the same extrusion used by Very Super Cool Tools for their fence, and I can tell you that it costs 1/10th what they sell it for on eBay! .... of course, you need to do the construction still).

Here is the basic extrusion. A spacer is added to extend the track a couple of mm past the sub-fences ...

[Image: fence1.jpg]

The spacer is UHMW (I wanted something I could machine to size, and liked that it was black and will not degrade), which is hard and fairly stiff. However, there was a smidge of flex, and so added a lot of T-bolts. I should point out that this is only made necessary as the JessEm hold downs are used. They have wheels which need to not be allowed to flex away ...

[Image: fence2.jpg]

[Image: fence3.jpg]

The last photo is self explanatory ...

[Image: fence4.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Two more tasks completed with the "new" router table ...

Firstly, the below-table dust collection system was completed. This adds to the dust collection in the fence.

The Elu 177e router, which is used in this table, did not come with dust control. I have two of these routers, the first one purchased 25 years ago. I guess that dust control was not a concern then. However, when Elu was taken over by Black & Decker, their top-of-the-line router became the DeWalt DW625. This was a straight copy of the Elu 177e, and it did come with dust control. So, for those out there with a Elu and wanting dust control, get the part for the DW 625.

With a slight modification (to seal any gaps), this was added here ...

[Image: 6.jpg]

The second modification was to remove one of the springs. Plunge routers in a table have to fight their springs. I considered removing both springs, tried this, however it felt too loose - the router has to rely on its weight and gravity to open. One spring adds a little tension and is a decent compromise.

The spring which remained is the one alongside the Router Raizer ...

[Image: 5.jpg]

Up-and-down travel is now smoother and less effort.

This is the dust collector from above the table ...

[Image: 4.jpg]

It does not impede above-table bit changing ...

[Image: 3.jpg]

A tip, for those using a router table in their table saw extension, is to keep an undrilled router bit cover to prevent saw dust dropping down into the arbour of the router ...

[Image: 2.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek