This sucks
I say it's all about perspective.  I knew I had broken my wrist when it happened because I both heard and felt the break(s) occur.  
I didn't want to look, but when I looked down, I saw this...

I was pretty sure it wasn't supposed to curve like that.  I was also pretty sure that the flare of pain wasn't supposed to make the earth spin and tilt and my stomach do the same.  Unlike the femur fracture, I didn't scream like a little girl from the pain.  like the femur, I didn't cry, but I did use language that would make navy chiefs blush.

When Miss T jumped down from the tractor and looked her perspective showed her this...

after six hours at the ER, I arrived home like this...

I have spent the day jumping thru hoops, trying to get the necessary approval to see the surgeon.  The pain meds only take the edge off.  Turn the hand wrong and you get a free reminder of the error of your ways.  They are working on it.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(04-06-2021, 10:39 AM)Bucko Wrote: Hang in there, my hobby time is delayed also.

What are we looking at?

Is it healing well?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I had my middle knuckle on right hand removed and pins put in for a bone fusion procedure. Seems I had 1% of my knuckle left and knuckle was taken over by 3 large bone Spurs.
I put the cause at the 25 years I worked in the Weld Shop doing build up work on forging dies using Air tool scaling/ slag removal tooling daily hurting my grip.
6 weeks into healing now with 4-7 months expected till hand is ready for use although I’ll gladly go straight to retirement as my Orthopedic Surgeon recommends.
Healing is well and today is a big day as a hand therapist will make a Splint that I can take on/ off for next 7 weeks and goodbye to the cast.
Thanks Iclark for asking as I’ve a lot of time right now to read and visit Forums.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
FINALLY, SOME GOOD NEWS!

The approval came thru from the VA, and I have the follow up appt with the orthopedics doc.  Unfortunately too late to get in today, so 1245 tomorrow.
at least the game is afoot.  
Smile
Jim in Okie
Sorry to hear about the accident. I think we've all been there one way or the other. Mine was a few weeks on the mend from carpel tunnel surgery. On the bright side, you listed all the different tasks that get neglected while we're busy building. There is always some cleaning and sorting, planning the next project, and don't forget to give yourself permission to just be lazy for the first week. Find a good movie or series to watch, enjoy those pain meds, and put some wear-and-tear on your favorite sweat pants and recliner.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Saw the doc at 1245

He said the bone was indeed a crush fracture, and I had lost some length.  They could, and should, do surgery.
When?
Does tomorrow work for me?
Why yes it does.
Jim in Okie
(04-08-2021, 03:04 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Saw the doc at 1245

He said the bone was indeed a crush fracture, and I had lost some length.  They could, and should, do surgery.
When?
Does tomorrow work for me?
Why yes it does.

Sorry to hear of your injury, but keep the faith and plow through this and hopefully it will turn out well for you.

As to medical humor, here's something you might try....

Inadvertently, it was discovered that I had a large tumor on my thyroid, right side, 5.5 cm, (about 2 1/4 inches in diameter, which is HUGE); fine needle biopsy says benign, but it has to come out. Getting your throat cut open is no bed of roses. Surgeon consulted, does nothing but necks, excellent surgeon but no sense of humor at all.  He takes it out, pathology takes an extraordinary 3 weeks to come back with results, Stage 4 thyroid cancer; so much for the biopsy...  really tightens up your sphincter when you get that kind of news, but no evidence of spread which was a positive sign.  So back to the neck surgeon, he says the left side of the thyroid absolutely has to come out given the pathology result, so ok, cut my throat again and take it out, no choice here.  Being prepped for the second surgery, he comes in to mark my left side with a sharpie so he doesn't screw up, and I ask him if he had a good nights sleep, he said "like a baby."  I then asked if after the surgery could I play the piano?  He says of course.  I said, funny, I never could before.  Got him to crack a smile..... but he retorts that perhaps he didn't sleep so well, so we'll see how it goes. Pathology on second side of thyroid came back squeaky clean. This was three years ago, and I'm doing ok and periodic checkups show no spread.

So tomorrow, think about asking the surgeon the same question and see what happens.  Might be worth a few chits and giggles....

Good luck to you!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Sorry rhat I'm late to the party. By the time you read this, the surgeon will have done his/her thing and you should be on the road to recovery with all your parts working more or less correctly.

Moral of the story: Old men ain't supposed to fall down cuz' things break. Despite that, we've got to continue living.

Here's hoping your recovery is fast and pain free.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(04-07-2021, 06:28 AM)Bucko Wrote: I had my middle knuckle on right hand removed and pins put in for a bone fusion procedure. Seems I had 1% of my knuckle left and knuckle was taken over by 3 large bone Spurs.
I put the cause at the 25 years I worked in the Weld Shop doing build up work on forging dies using Air tool scaling/ slag removal tooling daily hurting my grip.
6 weeks into healing now with 4-7 months expected till hand is ready for use although I’ll gladly go straight to retirement as my Orthopedic Surgeon recommends.
Healing is well and today is a big day as a hand therapist will make a Splint that I can take on/ off for next 7 weeks and goodbye to the cast.
Thanks Iclark for asking as I’ve a lot of time right now to read and visit Forums.

You are welcome. Thanks for the explanation.

It sounds like things are going in a positive direction. I hope that that continues and that everything goes well.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Home from surgery.  
Big Grin
Nerve block.  
Laugh
Hand is numb.
Doc said it went well
Jim in Okie