What ever happened to…
(03-31-2022, 06:14 PM)enjuneer Wrote: Megan is active on Facebook as herself and on Instagram as 1snugthejoiner. She posts nearly every day.

I only meant mostly absent from WoodNet - not from the rest of the world.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Stu Tierny is an Australian sounding name. I guess I never made the connection.

Another guy I’m mildly curious about is Todd Hughes. I don’t know if he posted here much.
(04-01-2022, 07:07 PM)john jesseph Wrote: Stu Tierny is an Australian sounding name. I guess I never made the connection.

Another guy I’m mildly curious about is Todd Hughes. I don’t know if he posted here much.

Todd posted mostly on WoodCentral, and he hasn’t been active there for several years.
(04-01-2022, 08:10 PM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: Todd posted mostly on WoodCentral, and he hasn’t been active there for several years.

Todd Hughes was kicked off this forum. He ruffled too many fine feathers.

A few weeks later a new name appeared with many of the same attitudes. I thought it was Todd under a new name. That guy was promptly kicked off as well.
(03-31-2022, 03:33 PM)Pedder Wrote: vlad spehar
Yes, that is his last name, I thought his saws were Zepher, but it was his name, bingo!

(03-31-2022, 04:41 PM)AHill Wrote: Stu Tierney (Schtoo - used to sell Japanese woodworking tools and stones - super knowledgeable about sharpening stones)
Evenfall (Rob) - Used to sell shooting boards - his entire shop was destroyed in a large wildfire in CA.
Bob Smalser (left because he kept getting critiqued by idiots)
I still know Stu and we follow each other on IG, we actually have quite a bit in common, both married to Japanese women, and we both have a daughter named Erika, which is not a Japanese name...he used to work in his family's liquor store, I work for mine in L.A. for about 15 years. Stu also lives in Shinjuku, where is where I used to live. I left in '87 though, and Stu may have married later. Unfortunately I have never met Stu in person, but hope to one day. I was in Japan a couple years ago but my Father-In-Law died and I didn't have much time. My Mother-In-Law is now 93, and my wife is planning to go there soon, but not sure I will go. Even last year my wife went and the testing and quarantine was silly.

Evenfall was was of the people that was the cause of me getting banned here years ago. I saw he lost is shop/home in the Paradise fire...that sucks, IMO. I have property in Lake County, where the largest California wildfire existed a couple years ago, over 1 million acres burned...7 counties in CA, it was burning for 86 days, ponder that one! And also ponder they only lost a few stuctures in Lake County. There was about 1200 structures total for all counties though. The fire Rob was in leveled the entire Paradise pretty much, the Camp fire. Even though we didn't get along too well in the end, I do feel sorry for him, and know I would get along with him in person.

No love lost for me with Smalzer, I was probably one of the people you call idiots, but I look at him as an person. Anyone should expect to get critiqued on the Internet. That was Smalzer's problem, he couldn't take criticism, and people like him shouldn't post on the Internet, IMO. There is no right way to do things. So I never feel anyone's way is the best or the only, I only know what works for me. And the proof is in what you build, no matter what tools you use or how you maintain them.

(04-01-2022, 09:40 PM)wmickley Wrote: Todd Hughes was kicked off this forum. He ruffled too many fine feathers.
Todd was a good guy, and he was the reason I started blacksmithing. I bought a number of saws from Todd, he used to sell on Ebay, I also bought some here in PM from him. No more coal for me though, only gas for forging in my new shop. Coal is filthy dirty and dangerous for our health. I know people who have experienced bad things with their nerves from it.

I'm been kicked off and banned from so many Forums, not sure I can even count them. However, I boycott more than I get kicked off of. Sites like SawMillCreek, no time for them. Practical Machinists, no time for them. WeldingWeb, no time for them. These are all sites that have poor moderation, IMO, or sensitive people that don't want their feelings hurt if you reply honestly. I was even banned from the Family Woodworking site that Stu was a part of, those people left from SawMillCreek or other. I think it was SMC. Vaughn was another. Me and Stu get along just fine on IG, so go figure. I could even go on about this site, but I won't, someone will just get their panties in a wad.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(04-02-2022, 12:37 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: No love lost for me with Smalzer, I was probably one of the people you call idiots, but I look at him as an person. Anyone should expect to get critiqued on the Internet. That was Smalzer's problem, he couldn't take criticism, and people like him shouldn't post on the Internet, IMO. There is no right way to do things. So I never feel anyone's way is the best or the only, I only know what works for me. And the proof is in what you build, no matter what tools you use or how you maintain them.

Smalser has plenty of street cred.  He had several articles published in Fine Woodworking, and he ran a pretty successful wood boat repair business.  He knew his stuff.  He was, as you say, pretty opinionated, and wasn't shy about making his opinion public.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
He passed away far too young, but Walt Q is one guy I really miss. Loved his weekly posts of the stuff he hauled in from auctions and estate sales. He ran Brass City Records, and he was as knowledgeable about vintage records as he was about hand tools.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-02-2022, 06:21 PM)AHill Wrote: He passed away far too young, but Walt Q is one guy I really miss.  Loved his weekly posts of the stuff he hauled in from auctions and estate sales.  He ran Brass City Records, and he was as knowledgeable about vintage records as he was about hand tools.

And the lyrics quotes, his signature thing. RIP Walt.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(04-02-2022, 06:21 PM)AHill Wrote: He passed away far too young, but Walt Q is one guy I really miss.  Loved his weekly posts of the stuff he hauled in from auctions and estate sales.  He ran Brass City Records, and he was as knowledgeable about vintage records as he was about hand tools.

Even Walt would be amazed at the prices being obtained for some LPs these days. $300 and up is fairly common. Some of the rare (early) and mint pressings into four figures. And I know guys who own several thousand albums.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(03-31-2022, 04:41 PM)AHill Wrote: joemac sold most of his ww gear.  I think he still posts in the basement every once-in-a-while

A few others who seem to have disappeared:
Blaine
Bob Zajiczek (Czech Edge Tools)
Stu Tierney (Schtoo - used to sell Japanese woodworking tools and stones - super knowledgeable about sharpening stones)
Evenfall (Rob) - Used to sell shooting boards - his entire shop was destroyed in a large wildfire in CA.

A few guys who used to be pretty active on WN but not anymore:

Chris Schwarz (PWW, Lost Arts Press)
Joel Moskowitz (TFWW)
Bob Lang (PWW - still posts from time to time)
Bob Smalser (left because he kept getting critiqued by idiots)
Jameel Abraham (started Benchcrafted)
Megan Fitzpatrick (erinorunning) - Managing Editor at PWW after Schwarz left - now works for Lost Arts Press
Blaine rode with me to one of the shows in Amana.  That was the last time I saw him (and Joe also).   Blaine retired early and did some ski and golf instructing at a resort in Wisconsin.  As a general comment, the folks who have become woodworkers as part or all of their livelihood probably don't have time to mess with forums.  Forums also have far less participants (thus this post) than a decade ago.  

Since moving, I have done way less woodworking, so I understand how life changes can effect hobbies.