Cosman's AdjuSTAR - Improvement or Gimmick?
(05-24-2022, 07:08 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Not to worry too much about the wear, Jack. The planes may not be used much. (Oh, I need to be spanked for saying this!).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Winkgrin
Yes
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

If the depth adjuster knob is hard to turn, your lever cap pressure is too high.
Exactly, Charles.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
It may be an improvement but it looks goofy.  I don't have a problem with any of my stanleys.  I've heard some of the older ones
used smaller adjusters with worn knurling that are a hassle, but I don't own any pre-WII ones.
I can't imagine buying a premium LN plane then adding this abomination to it.  
Laugh
(05-26-2022, 12:04 PM)Ricky Wrote: It may be an improvement but it looks goofy.  I don't have a problem with any of my stanleys.  I've heard some of the older ones
used smaller adjusters with worn knurling that are a hassle, but I don't own any pre-WII ones.
Laugh
I have purchased old Stanley planes with the small knobs that were "frozen" and hard to turn, but that was from many years of non-use and the lube in the threads had oxidized and turned to varnish. Never bought one that I couldn't "free up" and make it work again smoothly...The very fine threads on the adjuster stud wears the brass wheel and causes a lot of backlash...I don't love that at all...A stainless steel wheel and stud would be a better option.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-26-2022, 11:17 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Exactly, Charles.

Regards from Perth

Derek

It's also the reason lateral adjustment levers get loose and floppy.
(05-26-2022, 12:04 PM)Ricky Wrote: It may be an improvement but it looks goofy.  I don't have a problem with any of my stanleys.  I've heard some of the older ones
Laugh

I'm surprised Cosman didn't solve the problem with hockey tape.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-26-2022, 04:32 PM)AHill Wrote: I'm surprised Cosman didn't solve the problem with hockey tape.

Laugh

Oops, I take that back.  Upon further research I just noticed my favorite plane (a Stanley/Bailey jack) is pre-WWII.  Type 13 made in the 30's .
Never imagined it was that old. The adjuster works smooth and easy.
(05-26-2022, 11:17 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Exactly, Charles.

Regards from Perth

Derek

How do I know if it is to tight or to light?  If I need to move it I just loosen the screws and adjust and then tighten them back.  I guess it was from a long time ago the frog was moving all over the place and when I finally got it right I snugged it down and have been doing it that way ever since.   So hence my question.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.