Paul Sellers sharpening system, which diamond stones?
Enjoy Charles. I am off this weekend to Uluru (better known outside Oz as "Ayers Rock") via Darwin.

[Image: 1200px-Uluru%2C_helicopter_view.jpg]

Right in the middle of Australia. Nothing but desert for thousands of miles.

My wife's idea  
Crazy

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Don't pet the Dingoes!
It's all wood.
(06-28-2022, 08:25 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Enjoy Charles. I am off this weekend to Uluru (better known outside Oz as "Ayers Rock") via Darwin.

[Image: 1200px-Uluru%2C_helicopter_view.jpg]

Right in the middle of Australia. Nothing but desert for thousands of miles.

My wife's idea  
Crazy

Regards from Perth

Derek

Beautiful!  

We went to Cape Cod and had a blast.
(06-27-2022, 07:44 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: One thing I don't get about Sellers - when I used to visit Homestead Heritage, everything there was organic and home grown.  After a morning of woodworking class we would eat lunch at the restaurant,  fresh lemon aide using lemons grown organically on the property, with sugar from cane grown on the property, water from a well, beef raised by the site, fresh bread created by Amish-looking women.  It was a utopia!  

But then I see Paul using WD-40 as a lubricant for sharpening - OMG that stuff smells horrible!  Makes me sick thinking about it.  I use Jacoba oil (spelling?) or sometimes mineral oil but OMG WD-40???  Reminds me of my Dad using gasoline to clean paint brushes when I was a kid.

Homestead Heritage has some pretty strict rules on how they do things.  So, it's not surprising when Sellers worked there he had to abide by those traditions.  It's also primarily a religious community and secondarily a crafts school.  Since Sellers is on his own now, he has freedom to work with his own methods and materials.  I don't know why we would hold Sellers to a higher standard than we hold ourselves to.

I'm surprised they can grow lemons in Waco.  The climate gets below freezing in the winter, and citrus can't tolerate freezing - especially since citrus is normally harvested in late fall / early winter.  I've lived in three different cities in Texas (McAllen in the Rio Grande Valley), El Paso, and Fort Worth.  Almost all citrus grown in Texas is grown in the Rio Grande Valley due to the climate.  Homestead Heritage doesn't mention lemons on their list of crops.  THey probably made lemonade from store-bought lemons grown elsewhere.  They have associate communities scattered throughout the US and in Mexico, New Zealand, and South Africa.  Maybe the lemons came from the Mexico associates.

https://www.homesteadheritage.com/faq/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Near as I can recall...Paul Sellers uses Window Cleaner on his sharpening bench.....At least it looked green to me....around here, we called it Windex.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(07-07-2022, 08:31 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Near as I can recall...Paul Sellers uses Window Cleaner on his sharpening bench.....At least it looked green to me....around here, we called it Windex.....

This if from his blog:

Quote:The glass cleaner that we use is auto glass cleaner rather than house window cleaner. The reason we use this is that it has non corrosive properties to stop the stones rusting as well as staying on the stones a bit longer than water. This helps to float off the swarf better which is another purpose of lapping fluid. Window cleaner has soap and fragrance in it which we don’t really want as well as, in our experience, causing or at least not stopping the stones from rusting. You can just use water, but we feel there are enough advantages to using glass wash.

You can also use a water additive that makes the water non-corrosive.

Blog post
(07-08-2022, 08:31 PM)Ricky Wrote: This if from his blog:

Blog post

I googled it...........

People also ask
Is auto glass cleaner the same as Windex?
According to the makers of Invisible Glass, both of these products contain the same formula, so there really is no difference. Many people prefer the aerosol due to its foaming action, but it is really up to you.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

If he noticed one product causes rust, and another does not, I'm willing to take the man at his word.

The products cannot be exactly the same, since one has an aerosol propellant and one does not.
(07-08-2022, 10:21 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ........................
I googled it...........

People also ask
Is auto glass cleaner the same as Windex?
According to the makers of Invisible Glass, both of these products contain the same formula, so there really is no difference. Many people prefer the aerosol due to its foaming action, but it is really up to you.

Interesting. I got Invisible Glass.  Came in a liquid spray bottle like Windex, not a foam spray.  I guess it comes in both.
This car detailing site discusses Invisible glass vs Windex, expounding the pros and cons for each.  
From my googling most detailing sites claim Windex is ammonia based and not preferred by detailers vs
auto glass cleaners which is alcohol based.
My spray bottle of Invisible Glass on the back says:  Contains water and hydrocarbon blend

Quote:Regular Windex is an ammonia-based cleaner, so you don’t want to use it on painted surfaces. If you do use it on glass, it can cause streaking and smell pretty strong since it contains detergents, solvents, and fragrances in addition to ammonia (which also smells really strong). That’s the main turnoff for me, especially when cleaning any interior windshield or window.

Car Wash country
But like anything in life there are exceptions.

Quote:Unlike a household cleaner, auto glass cleaners set the stage for proper protection; something ammonia is not good at. Now in most situations, this will all be true, however some car care product manufacturers repackage household cleaners and some even use ammonia; it’s always important to check out the label of any product before purchasing. The choice is clear, much like your windows will be after using an automotive glass cleaner.

Dr. Beasley's, Behind the Detail Tips.