Got to repair a benchtop today
Rob, 
Curious...What was the depth of the damage/thickness of the patch?
(11-14-2022, 04:56 PM)brianwelch Wrote: Rob, 
Curious...What was the depth of the damage/thickness of the patch?

I should have taken a picture of the original hole. About the size of a 50 cent piece all together as it appears the bit skittered around in a spiral. In the center it was just under 3/8" and shallowed out to maybe 1/16" at the end of the spiral. All over ragged.

The patch is set in 3/8" deep for good measure. Used a scrap of walnut that measured just over 1/2" thick. Cut the positive portion (outside the line cut) to a depth of 0.4". Then ran it past a bandsaw fence to free the patch. Actually made two positive pieces just in case.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
@Randy C

A video produced by Shaper showing the technique of inlay on flooring. Pretty much the same as patching a bench.

Other bench repairs include dutchmen on some Nicholson/Naked Woodworker (Mike Siemsen) benches made of 2x12 Douglas Fir. The benches themselves are quite sturdy but as you can see, the 2x12 started to split across the pith. These are 1/2" deep and made of ash or might be red-oak, just whatever was handy at the time. Might be a good idea at some point to have somebody help me flip the bench over and insert a dutchman from the bottom too. 

Other patches I don't have pictures on my phone. The most complicated one was where somebody managed to rip a big chunk from around a dog hole. I cut a patch and inlayed it, not worrying that I was now partly blocking the dog hole. After the patch was dry and leveled I could come back again with the SO and use it to overlay a 3/4" hole and re-cut the dog hole through the patch. This could be done other ways too but extremely easy with the SO.
Rob Young Wrote:A video produced by Shaper showing the technique of inlay on flooring. Pretty much the same as patching a bench.

Ok, that system looks super cool! What do you think the chances are I could convince my wife that I "need" one for Christmas? (I already know that answer to that question, unfortunately)

Tyler
Yes, a cool toy though it or similar cnc stuff WOULDN'T find its way to my shop. Even a 1/8"masonite top can last decades of beating.

Simon
(11-15-2022, 02:04 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Yes, a cool toy though it or similar cnc stuff would find its way to my shop. Even a 1/8"masonite top can last decades of beating.

Simon

This is a communal shop space. Most users aren't that competent or careful. We've had the space open for use since 2005 I think. In that time we did try hardboard or Masonite tops.

Lasted a few months. Easier to just repair.
So did you have that piece of equipment? Looks expensive. I thought there might be a simplier and cheaper way to do that with a router and some type of collar.
(11-16-2022, 01:01 PM)Randy C Wrote: So did you have that piece of equipment? Looks expensive. I thought there might be a simplier and cheaper way to do that with a router and some type of collar.

Less expensive with a router and collar and template?  Yes.

Simpler/Easier with a router and a collar and template?  No.
Semper fi,
Brad

when i saw the first pic i was hoping . . . then, i saw the up close pic . . . awesome!!!  
Laugh
I was a member up until eight years ago when I moved to Hawaii. Nice to see a sense of humor there, now.
VH07V