Walnut chairs completed
Outstanding - congrats!  
Smile  Dave
Piedmont North Carolina
(02-16-2018, 01:46 AM)rick4212 Wrote: Took 3 months to complete but the 10 walnut chairs are finally done! 8 are for the dinning room and the other 2 were given to a daughter and daughter-in-law. These chairs are based on chairs made by Appalacian joinery in Ashville NC. All joints are draw bored. These chairs took forever because there was significant handwork involved. Thought I was going to wear my spokeshave out? Also included a picture of one of the 2 sconces i also make when I took a brake from the chairs. I now just have a chest on stand left to make to complete the dinning room. Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

Those are stunning and the wood is gorgeous, too.  Actually, the whole room looks amazing, like a private dining room in a fine inn.  Did you make the table, too?  If so, I'd like to see some pictures of that, too, if you don't mind.  

How many hours in those 10 chairs?  

John
Those are beautiful.

(02-16-2018, 01:46 AM)rick4212 Wrote: Took 3 months to complete but the 10 walnut chairs are finally done! 8 are for the dinning room and the other 2 were given to a daughter and daughter-in-law. These chairs are based on chairs made by Appalacian joinery in Ashville NC. All joints are draw bored. These chairs took forever because there was significant handwork involved. Thought I was going to wear my spokeshave out? Also included a picture of one of the 2 sconces i also make when I took a brake from the chairs. I now just have a chest on stand left to make to complete the dinning room. Thanks for looking. Comments welcome.

Those are beautiful!

A few questions:

Did you work off of a plan?  I'm thinking that if I ever made some chairs I might try for that style.  I really like it.

What was your finish?
Peter

My "day job"
Man! Those are beautiful! I love the design and what a well put together room!
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
What everyone one else has already said just gorgeous work
Sam
stunning!!  c'mon show some build pix!!
Thanks for all the nice comments. For those who asked for some build pictures i have a few i just didn't take many. I used a jig to cut the curves on one side then another for the other side. That got them close so I could do the glue up then used a spokeshave to do all the curve work. Don't know how many hours I have into them but it was a lot. These were my most difficult project. I didn't use any plans but i have the pictures of the original chair but no dimensions so i did a mockup and kept making adjustments until it sat really comfortable. I don't normally do mockups but a chair needs to be comfortable along with looking good so the mockup was definitely worth it. Used sold stock for all the curves and parts.

Sorry Thien for the poor photos I'll work on them
Smile Pictures are usually an afterthought.

Peter no plans but I can message you dimensions. Also the finish is waterlox and rubbed out with 0000 steel wool and wax. Each chair took 1 hour to rub out. Did 2 each night.

John yes i made the table. I posted it here last year.

Thanks again for all the nice comments

Attached Files Image(s)

There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

My stuff
Here is the mockup.

Attached Files Image(s)

There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

My stuff
You built a museum display.
The whole room is stunning.
The chairs are wonderful; just great.
Thanks for sharing photos.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.