Cremation urn
Western big leaf maple. My hunting buddy and his neighbor had a few very large trees come down in one of our big wind storms. The biggest was around 160’ tall with a base 6’ in diameter. I got hundreds of pounds of burl, curl, quilt figure out of those trees and they had been down for a couple of years so they had lots of spalting as well.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(03-27-2021, 08:49 PM)AHill Wrote: Now what exactly is WBLM?

Thanks for asking --I was lost too.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(03-28-2021, 01:09 PM)SteveS Wrote: Western big leaf maple. My hunting buddy and his neighbor had a few very large trees come down in one of our big wind storms. The biggest was around 160’ tall with a base 6’ in diameter. I got hundreds of pounds of burl, curl, quilt figure out of those trees and they had been down for a couple of years so they had lots of spalting as well.

That is my favorite wood and I bought a quilted board of it that was 2" thick and 8" wide and 2' long and ended up giving it to a friend here to make and sell somthing with it.  He made a fantastic bowl from it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-27-2021, 09:53 AM)SteveS Wrote: This was my own design. I don't use plans for my work. I made it much larger than it need be because I wanted to make it so.

That's the whole idea of working in your own shop. Do what you want. Although plans are quite useful and time saving, especially if you don't have the experience in a certain project.
Jim