Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,412
» Latest member: steelchicken
» Forum threads: 64,993
» Forum posts: 1,006,346

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 623 online users.
» 9 Member(s) | 611 Guest(s)
Google, Facebook, Bing, bwlarson_ca, EdL, jstrong, BaileyNo5, lincmercguy, OneStaple

Latest Threads
Bench Project
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: BaileyNo5
24 minutes ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 10
Forrest DK10244G Dado Kin...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: JosephP
4 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 218
Lumber Run...resupplied f...
Last Post: EdL
5 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 38
Greenlee slick handle len...
Last Post: Blacky's Boy
7 hours ago
» Replies: 4
» Views: 95
The Plane has landed
Last Post: Tapper
Today, 11:10 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 324
Some saws (on request)
Last Post: Tapper
Today, 11:06 AM
» Views: 48
Just hanging around?
Last Post: bandit571
Today, 08:31 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 56
Stanley 4 1/2 flst bottom...
Last Post: tablesawtom
Today, 08:02 AM
» Views: 220
#7 for sale
Today, 08:00 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 994
Bailey # 3 for sale
Today, 07:58 AM
» Views: 227

Shaker Sideboard: I'm In Fine Woodworking!
Posted by: Philip1231 - 04-27-2020, 08:14 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (196)

So by next project is going to be this Shaker sideboard (huntboard).  The top picture is Christian Becksvoort's cherry work counter.  I want to build something like this, but with doors and no drawers.  I have scoured the internet to come up with plans and although I do have a measured drawing  (from Christian's book Shaker Inspiration) I have not been able to find more detailed plans.  I am having trouble picturing the case bottom and its joinery to the sides. The front edge of the bottom looks to be a nominal 3/4" thickness. I wonder if this is the front edge of one solid board used for the bottom of the case, or could it be the front edge of a rail that has the rest of the bottom connected to it via a tongue/groove joint?   I have looked at the plans for Garrett Hacks Hunt board, but it has the front lower rail oriented vertically which is different than the front edge of the bottom on the CB work counter.  Any ideas?

Print this item

Handworks 2020
Posted by: cputnam - 04-27-2020, 08:03 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (7)

Absent a pandemic lockdown, is the event still on? It could come to pass that I could go.

Print this item

Grandpa Project
Posted by: MauleSkinner - 04-27-2020, 05:53 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (10)

Made a chair/step stool for my grandson...his feet dangle a little bit when he sits on it, but it gets him up high enough to brush his teeth.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

A first for me
Posted by: Turner52 - 04-27-2020, 02:26 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (11)

This morning I installed a link blade on my table saw. Turned it on and saw sparks fly I must have inadvertently moved the cord running from the switch to the motor. Yes. Cut it right in half. I have cut a couple of cords off skill saws in the past. When you are a carpenter and make hundreds of cuts per day that is bound to happen. Never heard of anyone doing it on a table saw though.

Print this item

ECE and Ulmia stuff
Posted by: DaveParkis - 04-27-2020, 12:44 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (14)

Looking to get some more stuff out of the shop and I thought these were good candidates. These were acquired from someone who bought really nice tools and then rarely, if ever, used them. They are dirty from having sat unused for several years, but they are in excellent/like new condition otherwise. Prices do NOT include shipping. I usually use USPS because its the least expensive, but I will use another carrier if the buyer insists. USPS postal orders preferred, but Paypal is okay if I don't have to pay the fees. Here's the list:

ECE block plane. I don't think this was ever used. $50
ECE Scrub plane. Again, it appears unused. $50
ECE small smoother. I believe this is caleld their "Gent's plane". $35

Ulmia Stair Saw. $30
Ulmia Smoother. This might have been used once. I'm not familiar with these planes, but it looks to have an adjustable mouth. $75
Ulmia Rabbet Plane. $75
Ulmia Dovetail Plane. Looks unused. $100

[Image: TrIeoOEm.jpg]
[Image: PIYDK0Im.jpg]
[Image: dHkcPtUm.jpg]
[Image: 8Cgmqjnm.jpg]
[Image: 19KGTTcm.jpg]

If there's something you're interested in and want more/better pics, just shoot me a PM. As always, first PM stating someone definitely wants an item gets it, blah blah blah. Thanks for looking!!

Print this item

1/4" Router Bit in 1/4" ID Bushing
Posted by: Haryo - 04-27-2020, 09:53 AM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (2)

Can I run a 1/4" upcut spiral router bit in a 5/16" OD 1/4" ID brass bushing?  The bit seems to fit and doesn't bind, but it is close and with sideways pressure on the template I could see some contact taking place.  Would it help to sand the inside of the bushing with a dowel and sandpaper?  I'm surprised I couldn't find this question answered in my searches for it.  

Thanks.

Print this item

My Generator
Posted by: crokett™ - 04-27-2020, 09:39 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (19)

10,000 Watt propane fuel, this is the one I rewired a while back to be manual start.   It ran as recently as 8 weeks ago.  We lost power last night.  After the PoCo's estimate for restoring power went from about a 3 hour outage to 8 hours I decided to start the generator.  As it was both raining and storming I opted to not do much.  Fortunately the 3 hour estimate was the correct one.   The generator won't turn over.   The battery  is on a trickle charger.  The fuel solenoid I can hear click open when I turn it on.  The battery reads 12.35V.  So I don't think it's the battery.  There's a clicking when I try to start the generator, but it's a different click than a dead or low battery. It's louder and all the dead batteries I've experienced either don't do anything or do a few clicks then stop each time you try to start the engine.  This keeps clicking for as long as I try to start the generator.  Right now I'm thinking either starter solenoid, or possibly starter motor.  

Given that it is a small-engine sized battery, is it less risky to try jumping from my Gator than my car? If that does't work,  short the contacts on the starter solenoid or bypass and go directly to the starter?

Print this item

wood patio/porch to replace concrete steps. leave or remove?
Posted by: mound - 04-27-2020, 09:25 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (4)

This picture shows two similar houses (top mine, bottom a neighbor)

There are concrete steps.  The neighbor built a wooden porch off to the side and left the concrete steps. 

My concrete steps are in terrible condition (structurally sound but all beat up and nasty looking). Local contractor said for $2300 he'd resurface them and make them look great, but said if he were honest, he couldn't warranty the work as the resurfacing won't last more than a couple years. 

Got me thinking that for that same money or less I could do the wooden patio/porch thing like my neighbor, only extend full width (like in the red rectangle I drew)

Question then would be, leave the concrete steps and put the porch over it? Or take the time to bust it all up and remove it? 

FYI: According to code this would not be a "deck" since it's less than 18" off the ground and has no railings or built in seating. 

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Print this item

Beautiful wood/resin vase finishing
Posted by: mtrainer90 - 04-27-2020, 08:46 AM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (3)

Finishing up an amazing wood/resin hybrid vase. Love how it turned out.

Print this item

Downdraft/Outfeed/Sanding Center
Posted by: Dave in Denver - 04-26-2020, 09:21 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (5)

Howdy:

Just thought I'd post some pics of the Downdraft/Outfeed/Sanding Center I just finished. My shop is pretty small so anything that goes in it needs to at least triple duty. This fits the bill with an outfeed table for the table saw, a downdraft sanding station, lots of good storage for sanding supplies, a handy outlet, and even a sandpaper cutter in the door. Pretty small footprint too at 42" x 23".

Dave in Denver

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.