Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,412
» Latest member: steelchicken
» Forum threads: 64,993
» Forum posts: 1,006,346

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 590 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 587 Guest(s)
Facebook, Bing, Google

Latest Threads
Bench Project
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: BaileyNo5
4 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 18
Forrest DK10244G Dado Kin...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: JosephP
8 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 229
Lumber Run...resupplied f...
Last Post: EdL
10 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 44
Greenlee slick handle len...
Last Post: Blacky's Boy
11 hours ago
» Replies: 4
» Views: 97
The Plane has landed
Last Post: Tapper
Yesterday, 11:10 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 326
Some saws (on request)
Last Post: Tapper
Yesterday, 11:06 AM
» Views: 52
Just hanging around?
Last Post: bandit571
Yesterday, 08:31 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 56
Stanley 4 1/2 flst bottom...
Last Post: tablesawtom
Yesterday, 08:02 AM
» Views: 222
#7 for sale
Yesterday, 08:00 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 998
Bailey # 3 for sale
Yesterday, 07:58 AM
» Views: 227

Stanley 246 miter box question
Posted by: msweig - 04-22-2020, 09:59 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (7)

I've had one of these off to the side for years (I picked one up in Illinois or Indiana before moving back to Texas, as I figured that would be rather expensive to ship).  I've played around with it a few times, and pulled it out today and remembered something I've always been curious about, and figured someone here might know the answer.  The 246 has two locations for the post in the front, and the instructions note that this "permits the use of a long or short saw."  What is a long and short saw for this model?  From what I can tell looking around on the internet, this saw typically came with a 26" backsaw, which I'm assuming is the long saw.  Any idea what would be considered a short saw, and why one would want to use one?  (I'm assuming the reason to use the short saw is for ease of transportation, but could be wrong).

Mark

Print this item

Anybody sand their own floors?
Posted by: toolmiser - 04-22-2020, 09:29 PM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (11)

We are redoing a room in the house and are going to install unfinished hardwood.  I've installed it before but have always' had it "professionally sanded" and finished.  I would maybe like to do it myself this time.  Room is about 13' x 16'.  We don't have a lot of options for rentals here.  I see Ace hardware has a big pad sander.

I've heard they are extremely slow.  But will they eventually get the job done?  I'm a little gunshy of trying a belt or drum sander, afraid of beginners mistakes.

Please tell me your experiences, good or bad.

Also might as well take finish recommendations also.  Room is a home office, not a high traffic area, but will have office chairs.  Other floors in house are probably 10 years old and more and in very good shape.  Living room was an epoxy.  I don't think we will do that myself.

Thanks for all the comments.

Print this item

All sold. Mortise Pal, Kunz leather chisel roll, coping saws
Posted by: gov.cheese - 04-22-2020, 04:17 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (3)

Never used Mortise Pal. Comes with 1/2", 1", 1 & 1/2" and 2". You'll have to provide your own standard PC template guide.

$120 shipped. SOLD

Kuny leather roll. $25 shipped. SOLD

Coping & fret saws. $30 shipped. SOLD

Print this item

Laguna 18-47
Posted by: Turner52 - 04-22-2020, 04:04 PM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (4)

There is one for sale. $1250. Anyone use this lathe and what do you think of the price? Seems a little high to me, but would definitly appreciate any feedback from anyone with personal experience. Thanks a lot

Print this item

Bench Build-Part 5B Stretchers
Posted by: Master-of-None - 04-22-2020, 02:25 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (14)

As promised, and zipping right along, here's how I added the stretchers to the legs. I will make this post a bit longer since I'd like to get into the techniques that were used, just in case some readers are not familiar. Hope it will be helpful!
The plan is to use four stretchers. I want this bench to be rock solid with no excuses for any kind of movement. The stretchers will be dovetailed, glued and bolted.
Here we go:
I'm starting with the long stretcher by laying out a dovetail at one end:

As you can see, after using a pencil to mark the dovetail, I use a knife and then a chisel to create what Paul Sellers calls a knife wall. This marks the locations where the cuts will be made with a saw and allows the saw to kind of fall into the cut that needs to be made. This pretty much guarantees a straight cut:

Because this will be a half-lap dovetail, I need to remove quite a bit of material. To do that I crosscut the area that will be removed. This makes it easy to remove large chunks of material without being too careful. I use a chisel first, followed by a router plane, to get it to the exact depth.

I leave the right shoulder at this point, to help and support the router.

The router produces a nice smooth surface once it's done.

And now since I don't need that shoulder, I cut it off. The exact length of the dovetail does not matter too much at this point, as long as it's a little long. It will be trimmed later.

To be continued shortly!

Print this item

Excalibur Saw Fence and Rails
Posted by: Scroll73 - 04-22-2020, 02:23 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (2)

Some years back I bought an Excalibur T-Slot precision Saw Fence and rails. I have never installed it, and have decided not to use it. It is Model TT45 with guide rails being 49". I don't have the original box and I think it would be fairly expensive to mail as it is quite heavy. So thinking pickup in the Iowa City, IA and am open to receiving for it whatever someone thinks it would be worth to them. Thanks.  John

Print this item

Need some small cherry blanks for dresser legs
Posted by: Dumb_Polack - 04-22-2020, 12:53 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (11)

Hi, I'm building this for our daughter:

I really don't want to go buy a 8/4 board to turn the legs.  (I realize I could glue up some scrap 4/4, but I'd rather go the solid wood route).  I figure they're about 7-8" long.  I've got a small piece of cherry for one of the legs, just need a 'lil bit for 3 more legs.  I've raided my scrap pile but I don't have any 8/4 scraps.

Do you have any small cherry blocks laying around you don't want?  H-ell, I'll even mail you a box and include a ton of stamps (father was a stamp collector) for you to mail me the blanks back in.  I like the word "free" but if you need a little $$$ I'll include a check for the agreed-upon amount.

Please let me know.  thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

""Spoked for"" I have a med flat rate box full of medicine bottles
Posted by: Arlin Eastman - 04-22-2020, 12:12 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - No Replies

That I will ship out to the first person who pm's me. 

Most are the small slim bottles and there are a few medium large bottles.

I can not afford send out all kinds of small packages so if you can not use them all please send some to someone else and pass them down the line.

Print this item

WTB: Stanley 15 square
Posted by: Plane Junkie - 04-22-2020, 11:47 AM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - No Replies

Hi again. Looking for a Stanley #15 square, Type 1.

Thanks. Matt

Print this item

A turning I did
Posted by: Arlin Eastman - 04-22-2020, 11:04 AM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (7)

Strawberry ice cream cone.

Made from a willow tree which my MIL and FIL planted 40 years ago

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.