Small hand plane
(11-26-2021, 05:23 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Find the right welder (of which there are darned few), and that's repairable.  One part of the trick is to clamp the sole to a true flat surface both sides of the crack.  It won't be pretty, but it's not pretty now.
If it can be fixed, I would definitely go down this path. Give the plane a second chance! What matters here is not the look of the tool, but the look of the piece it produces.

Simon
(11-26-2021, 10:30 AM)Bruce Haugen Wrote: Patrick Leach sells a new 601 Bedrock
http://www.supertool.com/601.htm

Nice looking plane, but honestly, at $695?  Not even ductile iron for the casting, so also prone to cracks when dropped.  For less than 25% of the cost, you can get a WoodRiver No. 1 (Chinese) with a ductile iron body which probably performs equally as well.  As pointed out in Leach's offering, Stanley did not offer the No. 1 in a Bedrock style.  So, Leach's offering is unique.  Besides, the OP wants a No. 2.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-25-2021, 05:58 PM)RBohn Wrote: Just dropped my Stanley #2 plane and the sole cracked at the mouth. No problem, I thought. Actually a big problem for me. Vintage #2 planes have skyrocketed sine I paid $80 for mine a few decades ago. Does anyone one currently make a #2? I can't find one.

Sorry, tried to remove/replace over sized image, but failed.

With a little research and effort, you can part out that #2 on ebay for a considerable amount; lots of demand for knobs, totes, frogs and irons/chipbreakers.  That sole is pretty much toast.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-25-2021, 05:58 PM)RBohn Wrote: Just dropped my Stanley #2 plane and the sole cracked at the mouth. No problem, I thought. Actually a big problem for me. Vintage #2 planes have skyrocketed sine I paid $80 for mine a few decades ago. Does anyone one currently make a #2? I can't find one.

Sorry, tried to remove/replace over sized image, but failed.

I have a small plane you can have, if you want it. The sole is about 8 1/2" long. I don't see a maker's logo, not sure who made it, but someone cleaned it up for me years ago. I mostly use homemade woodies, and it is being wasted as a shelf queen.

PM me if you want it.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(11-26-2021, 09:52 AM)AHill Wrote: Lie-Nielsen used to make No. 1 and No. 2 bench planes, but not anymore.  I have one of their No. 2's.  It's a nice plane.  Mine is manganese bronze.  I don't think they ever made a cast iron one.  WoodRiver (Woodcraft's Chinese brand) makes a No. 1 but not a No. 2.  I also checked Kunz and Clifton.  No number 2's.  I think your best bet is to check eBay or post a WTB in S&S.

Thanks for the extra research. I am surprised that there are manufacturers that make #! but not #2 planes.
(11-26-2021, 05:40 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Bob Kuane?  Maybe see IF he has a #2 base casting?

Thanks for the suggestion.
(11-28-2021, 01:14 PM)Aram Wrote: I have a small plane you can have, if you want it. The sole is about 8 1/2" long. I don't see a maker's logo, not sure who made it, but someone cleaned it up for me years ago. I mostly use homemade woodies, and it is being wasted as a shelf queen.

PM me if you want it.

Are you not interested? You can just have it, if you want. It is a shame to have it sitting on a shelf, and someone did a nice restoration job before they gave it to me.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(11-29-2021, 01:49 PM)Aram Wrote: Are you not interested? You can just have it, if you want. It is a shame to have it sitting on a shelf, and someone did a nice restoration job before they gave it to me.

Thanks for the generous offer. I have a vintage #3 and a vintage #4 that fall into that size range already. I'll bet that there are several forum members that would take you up on the offer.
(11-27-2021, 06:01 PM)Admiral Wrote: With a little research and effort, you can part out that #2 on ebay for a considerable amount; lots of demand for knobs, totes, frogs and irons/chipbreakers.  That sole is pretty much toast.

If anyone on the forum is interested, I placed the plane on Ebay for parts. There are a little more than 2 days remaining and the bids have stalled out at $56.

I am assuming that the lever cap and other original parts are worth more but it may look better as the clock ticks down.
Good luck with your sale.  I suspect it is in that pre-close state where everyone is setting up their snipes so they can get it.  

I have a #2 in the same boat, although I bought mine that way and didn't discover it until I was cleaning it.  I had been brazed so it is still functional.