Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,411
» Latest member: TG@HMG
» Forum threads: 64,991
» Forum posts: 1,006,295

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 645 online users.
» 11 Member(s) | 630 Guest(s)
Google, Facebook, Bing, Twitter, page2171, Tapper, JIMB49, WoodCzech, Roly

Latest Threads
The Plane has landed
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: Tapper
1 hour ago
» Replies: 13
» Views: 282
Some saws (on request)
Last Post: Tapper
1 hour ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 20
Greenlee slick handle len...
Last Post: Blacky's Boy
3 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 59
Just hanging around?
Last Post: bandit571
4 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 29
Stanley 4 1/2 flst bottom...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: tablesawtom
4 hours ago
» Views: 193
#7 for sale
4 hours ago
» Replies: 11
» Views: 964
Bailey # 3 for sale
4 hours ago
» Views: 212
Workbench
Forum: Woodworking
5 hours ago
» Replies: 30
» Views: 882
***SOLD*** Delta 12" Radi...
Last Post: joelk4032
7 hours ago
» Replies: 5
» Views: 121
Daily Bench Shot
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: Stwood_
Yesterday, 07:42 PM
» Replies: 1,816
» Views: 640,029

Strange electrical issue
Posted by: Birdseye Bill - 03-15-2019, 02:11 PM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (10)

Some of my house lights suddenly got brighter and burned out. Others when turned on shine 2x as bright as normal. I checked the fuse box and all are one. I unplugged several extention cords and other appliances. My wife was sewing at the time and using a pole lamp for extra lighting and her iron was plugged in but not in use. I'm not sure what caused this and will see if I can get an electrician out to check. Any ideas for me?

Print this item

Fine woodworking magazines + others
Posted by: bolson - 03-15-2019, 01:24 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (5)

I have a bunch of FWW magazines to sell. I am putting them in batches with prices. Shipping is extra. Pickup in Manhattan KS is free.

Payment via paypal, I pay the 3% fee, you pay to ship them to you. They are heavy, but I tried to make the batches manageable.

If you make my life easy and buy the entire lot, I’ll ship you the entire lot except the mystery box for $240.

Most are in great shape.

Batch 1
$40 + shipping
#19-31
#38-44

Batch 2
$40 + shipping
57-62
67-84

Batch 3
$40 + shipping
111-123
128-139

Batch 4
$70 + shipping
170-172
174-198
201-209
230-234
239-241

Batch 5
$70 + shipping
168-169
170-181
183-185

Batch 6
$5 + shipping

Batch 7 - Wood Magazine
$10 + shipping
153-154
156-169

Batch 8
$15 + shipping
ShopNotes
72-73
74-86

Batch 9
The mystery box
$20 - must pick up locally
This is a huge box of magazines I recovered from a woodship teachers barn. There is a ton of cool stuff in here, BUT it was in a barn so they are in conditions ranging from good to poor. Lots of FWW and other out of print stuff. If you PM me, I can email you a picture of the outside of the box, but I don’t have time to sort through it. I haven’t looked at it in about 3 years, so I can’t remember exactly what is in it. Because of its size, it is pickup only.

Print this item

William Macy is featured in the latest issue of Woodcraft
Posted by: Handplanesandmore - 03-15-2019, 01:06 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (1)

His wife Huffman is out on bail for their involvements in the college admissions fraud. (Edited, thanks to LWB's comment.)

Woodcraft could not have imagined such developments when it planned for the interview.

Simon

Print this item

Saw Blade
Posted by: Turner52 - 03-15-2019, 12:49 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (13)

I have a 10" table saw. I want to cut something thicker than this will allow. Needs to be in one cut, cannot flip over. Would need to spend quite a bit of money in order to get my bandsaw to do this. Not even sure if that would be possible. 40 + year old Craftsman that I only use for rough rounding turning blanks. I have 12" blades also. It seems I will be able to get an adittional 3/4" of height out of this if I buy a 1x5/8" bushing for the blades I have. I will not be able to raise the blade to it's full height or it will hit the cast framing on the saw. Other than this danger is there some other reason I am not seeing for not doing this? The RPM rating for the 12" blades are above the RPM's of the table saw so good to go on that. Will also need to use a wood zero clearance insert so no problem there either. Please let me know if this will work.

Print this item

Design Help - Large Wall Hanging Thimble Case
Posted by: Gary™ - 03-15-2019, 10:38 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (18)

I'm making a new thimble case for the LOML with over 200 spaces in it. I'll be over 2' x 2'.

I was originally thinking of making it with two doors with glass inserts but that would hide the center column of thimbles.

If I elect to go with a single door so all thimbles are visible, what's the best way to hang the case on the wall so it wouldn't tilt when the door is opened and the center of gravity shifts. I don't want to drive screws through the case as I'm considering using a mirror behind the thimbles so drilling through a backing it isn't a great option.

Print this item

Audio problems with new TV's
Posted by: Wild Turkey - 03-15-2019, 07:45 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (11)

Follow up to "Home Theater" thread

We bought a new flat screen TV for the bedroom, nothing huge but better than what had just died.

LOML loves everything about it.  What I don't like is some of the programs she loves -- especially the dramas at bedtime -- so we thought we could get a set of wireless headphones so she could listen and I could ignore.

OOPS.

New TV came with ONLY digital audio output, nothing for the old analog sounds systems. AND it won't mute sound when you plug in the "audio out" plug, meaning even if we found a set of headphones it wouldn't stop the sound.

We are getting ready to build a new house and when we go shopping for a BIG TV I will carefully check the audio outputs because I have a pair of speakers I built that have incredible sound (parts ran over $900!) that I want to use.

So if you're going shopping for a new TV make sure you understand what the set has in audio outputs and the difference between digital and analog outputs.

(Analog uses the old RCA or stereo {1/8" or 1/4"} plugs, digital uses the "Optical" fiber optic cables)

HTH
Rolleyes

Print this item

Tri Helix Grail
Posted by: Splinterz25 - 03-14-2019, 11:30 PM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (11)

Hello once again everyone Here's is my latest piece thought I would put a twist on things. This piece is Sapele turned and carved the finish is lacquer, it stands 14" and is 3.5 at the widest point. This one took a bit of time to smooth all the inner parts but yet keeping the crisp lines of the helix, there was a lot of hand sanding.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Determing Genuine (Swietenia) vs. African (Khaya) Mahogany
Posted by: Don_M - 03-14-2019, 10:56 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (3)

I local business has a table that I am thinking of trying to cut a deal for by either paying for it outright or perhaps a trade for a new live edge (or other table). The reason I am interested is that it is a very large piece of what I am 95% sure is Mahogany. The table top is a single board about 10 -12 feet long by 3’ wide and 3” thick. My issue is trying to figure out what species it is. I am somewhat confident it is genuine Mahogany (Swietenia) and not African (Khaya). It does not have the “ribboning” that is characteristic of Khaya. In some areas the finish has worn off and the underlying material is almost a chocolate brown color (but not super dark). Could it be Cuban?

What are some of the tips (if any) that one could use to determine the species?

Are there any other species it could be? Sapele? I can probably get a picture if that would help.

Comments/thoughts appreciated.

Print this item

dc leakage
Posted by: mongo - 03-14-2019, 10:09 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (12)

I have noticed some dust leaks develop on the output side of my G0441 dust collector. I have had this for maybe 10 years and its been through a move.

Is he hose just drying out and not sealing or can anybody recommend something to go under the hose to make a better seal?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

BLO question
Posted by: Woodtourer - 03-14-2019, 03:53 PM - Forum: Finishing - Replies (4)

How long after applying BLO do you wait before applying dewaxed shellac?
Thanks!

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.