Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,412
» Latest member: steelchicken
» Forum threads: 64,995
» Forum posts: 1,006,375

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 661 online users.
» 17 Member(s) | 641 Guest(s)
Google, Facebook, Bing, firefighter, Ricc Havens, Tim in Indiana, teacher, sweensdv2, wing nut, Tapper, dymo8, janus frey, OneStaple, GeorgeK ®, greatscott, MNice, TomSegel

Latest Threads
Whatever happened to Dere...
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: Timberwolf
9 minutes ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 5
Workbench
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: jteneyck
26 minutes ago
» Replies: 32
» Views: 988
Bench Project
Last Post: BaileyNo5
10 hours ago
» Views: 47
Forrest DK10244G Dado Kin...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: JosephP
Yesterday, 06:53 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 248
Lumber Run...resupplied f...
Last Post: EdL
Yesterday, 05:32 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 60
Greenlee slick handle len...
Last Post: Blacky's Boy
Yesterday, 04:21 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 116
The Plane has landed
Last Post: Tapper
Yesterday, 11:10 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 339
Some saws (on request)
Last Post: Tapper
Yesterday, 11:06 AM
» Views: 59
Just hanging around?
Last Post: bandit571
Yesterday, 08:31 AM
» Views: 61
Stanley 4 1/2 flst bottom...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: tablesawtom
Yesterday, 08:02 AM
» Views: 229

Sanding pads vs. paper?
Posted by: Woodtourer - 03-17-2019, 02:16 PM - Forum: Finishing - Replies (5)

Tell me why you might prefer one over the other? This would be between finish coats.

Print this item

Drywall
Posted by: mickanick1 - 03-17-2019, 11:59 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (28)

Hello everyone, I want to drywall my garage this spring and was wondering if I should do the celling first or the walls or does it really matter. Thanks for the help and have a great day.

Print this item

Fridge pops GFI
Posted by: carwashguy - 03-17-2019, 10:24 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (24)

My fridge shares the circuit with 1 countertop GFI outlet. Sometime yesterday the fridge started tripping the GFI.  I thought (was hoping) that is had something to do with the ice maker so i turned the ice maker off but it just tripped the GFI again.   When i reset the GFI the compressor immediately turned on.  I'd like to get a couple of more years out of this 16 year old fridge, if possible.  Any insight on what the issue could be before I pull it out from the wall in an attempt to troubleshoot it?  I have to go out for a couple of hours but I'll be working on this by about 2 o'clock.
BTW -  My wife has already decided to go appliance shopping!  

Print this item

What’s it?
Posted by: Gary G™ - 03-17-2019, 10:20 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (2)

Nothing turned up in my Google search. These?:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

a First Trial at Stringing
Posted by: C. in Indy - 03-17-2019, 10:08 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (9)

Lately I decided to try some stringing inlay.  I looked at the catalogs and for a starter I got a mixed set of tools.  I picked Veritas inlay cutters mainly because I foresee trying arbitrary templates -- not just circular arcs and straight lines -- one of these days.  The Veritas kit promises the ability to cut to a template.  On the other hand, for string thicknessing, I picked a Lie Nielsen tool.

Also for the early work I went with 0.032" stringing, thinking I'd be able to curl some veneer to arc-shapes without a heating iron.  This was "mostly" true on my first trial, but I definitely see why people use heated curling irons now.  In the future I'll probably step up to thicker strings and more methodical curling.

For a future box-top, I looked at some patterns, fancying art deco schemes, but I settled on a fairly basic intro pattern.   The work went a lot like cutting dovetails -- it is really a leap of faith that the ugly interim steps will straighten out later.

Cutting some arcs:

Leveling bits of string inlay:

After a good deal of detail repairs and planing and burnishing:

The remainder of the box will be an oak piece with rabbeted end pieces and grooves for a fixed bottom and a sliding (stringed) lid.  The Veritas stringing gage has a whip-sharp cutting blade insert for slicing veneers; this also has become my finest cutting gage for other work now
Smile 

And here is one of the grooves being popped out after rip-sawing with a backsaw:

More to come later...

Chris

Print this item

American Woodturner Magazines
Posted by: Woodjets - 03-17-2019, 10:00 AM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (4)

Winter 2006 Vol. 21 #4  
Winter 2007 Vol.22 #4    
Spring 2006 Vol. 21 #1  
Winter 2005 Vol. 20 #4  
Summer 2006 Vol.21 #2   

AAW PROJECT BOOK 

All of them are in excellent condition. No tears or folds, you couldn't tell if they've ever been read. 

$20 for all, plus shipping. Can go media mail therefore shipping will not be expensive.

Print this item

Ridgid Jointer SOLD
Posted by: Woodjets - 03-17-2019, 09:35 AM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - No Replies

Pickup only. Will help with loading. I am in Los Angeles(Hollywood/Koreatown area)
$200
    6" Jointer

Print this item

The Woodworking Show
Posted by: Mike 55 - 03-17-2019, 08:38 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (18)

Hi Guys,

It's been 5 years since I went to one of these shows in New Jersey. I now live in SC and see that they have one in Charlotte, NC. The last one  I went to was not that great. Nothing like 20 years ago. 

Is it worth going these days?

Thanks

Mike

Print this item

MInni Max S45
Posted by: tablesawtom - 03-17-2019, 08:08 AM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (10)

I have come into possession of a Minni MAx S45 Band saw in excellent condition. It has the disc style guides. What is it worth, all Park? I am not very good at searching the net.

I know it is 220 but it is still in my truck so I haven't had a real good chance really play with it.

I Have an older Delta, probably made in the 40s, with new tires and a Carter quick blade release and a Kreg fence. I know I will get pressure from the misses but I might keep it and sell the other or even keep it and sell the Grizzly 17 extreme. 

I don't normally ask for opinions or help in matters like this , but I  would like some different views to consider.

Thanks,

Tom

Print this item

planes for sale
Posted by: tablesawtom - 03-16-2019, 07:38 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (1)

I have a Record #7 that is in all but new condition. Actually if it has been used I would be surprised. Asking $150 plus shipping

A Lie Nielsen scrub plane also in mint condition but there are a couple of scratches on the tote Asking $135 plus shipping. Both planes can go in the same box for $275plus shipping.

And a Veritas burnisher asking $20 plus shipping

Thanks for looking

Tom

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.