Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,512
» Latest member: tsimmons
» Forum threads: 66,091
» Forum posts: 1,024,230

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 696 online users.
» 17 Member(s) | 676 Guest(s)
Facebook, Bing, Google, camp10, fixtureman, Roly, goaliedad, J-W-P, trc65, RobertW, pconroy

Latest Threads
Question about Garage Doo...
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: EatenByLimestone
26 minutes ago
» Replies: 6
» Views: 260
Free Alternative to Sketc...
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: JDuke
1 hour ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 256
New Dinette Table for Dau...
Last Post: MstrCarpenter
Yesterday, 10:08 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 926
New Roof Question
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: Cub_Cadet_GT
Yesterday, 05:16 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 957
Shelf on Coffee Table
Last Post: barnowl
Yesterday, 02:07 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 144
"we have a Plan"
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: bandit571
Yesterday, 01:19 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 578
Felder Format 4 Kappa 40 ...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: FrankAtl
Yesterday, 10:50 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 135
Ocean Bowl
Forum: Woodturning
Last Post: mtrainer90
Yesterday, 09:18 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 62
Cast iron stains
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: BarryO
09-17-2024, 08:38 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 424
2HP Oneida Dust Gorilla C...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: fredhargis
09-17-2024, 01:36 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 214

Homemade shop filtration system question
Posted by: woodsman83192 - 10-09-2014, 07:55 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (6)

I built a down draft table that I also let run as an air cleaner when I'm done in the shop.

Print this item

Nerdgasm: Magnehelic installed
Posted by: Cian - 10-06-2014, 11:43 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (10)

Very nice!

Print this item

Saw till work in progress
Posted by: starfish - 10-06-2014, 01:42 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (11)

That joint looks great!

How do you prevent the edges of SYP from crumbling? The stuff I have must be 30-percent pitch and the rest molded sawdust. We rarely see Southern Pine here in the Pac. N.W. What I have is an HD special on short clears.

Print this item

A column-mounted fence for my drill press
Posted by: Phil Thien - 10-06-2014, 09:18 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (7)

Cle-ver!
Ag

Print this item

Strategy for hardware...........how to organize
Posted by: t4d - 09-29-2014, 12:17 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (75)

I've reached a point where I want to organize my fasteners and hardware, and I'm not sure how to proceed.

I think that it comes down to a spectrum of very simple to very complex.

• Option 1: get a few containers, let's say one for nails, one for screws, and perhaps one for washers, brackets, hinges, and everything else.
    Option 2: perhaps organize everything down to the "hardware store level", with very many containers and all organized down to minute details.....length, thread type, stainless vs zinc, finishing nail vs common, etc.
    Option 3: somewhere in between

I guess it boils down to this: how much time and effort to organize? The time spent to sort thousands of old nails, screws, washers, etc. would be considerable, and would also require constant maintenance! On the other hand, the time spent digging through large containers of assorted stuff is frustrating! So..........where is the "sweet spot"??

I am not in business.........just a guy that would like a nice place for occasional furniture projects, home repair and the like.

Right now, I'm most interested in hearing about overall strategy for organizing, rather than getting into the details about what type of storage container to use.

All comments much appreciated, it will be nice to hear how others have organized and how much time is spent to maintain.

Thanks to everyone, in advance, from this new member.

Print this item

Dovetail layout with bevel gauge
Posted by: nodima - 09-28-2014, 07:07 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (8)

Not about the bevel gauges...

My suggestion on laying out the tails: Don't.

Instead, I always recommend a little practice using scraps, to learn to cut parallel to a line, or to two lines or more:

1. Number your practice cuts.
2. This will give you some idea how your dovetail saw is doing, and whether you must do a little tuning first.

For very small boxes (smaller than a dovetail jig will handle easily), I sometimes use a shop-made dovetail marker, with slopes more severe than is "normal":

Al

But much of the time I simply eyeball the angles. Try it, after practicing following parallel to a line.

Also, I suggest you keep your practice joints:

Print this item

Frog Angles...
Posted by: titanxt - 09-22-2014, 01:57 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (14)

I recently attended a Chris Swarz seminar where he used a #4 with a 55* frog on some old mahogany with great success. I emailed him about which degree frog it was and he said to first try the tight setting for the chip breaker because that has a significant effect on taming 'squirrelly' grain.
I also talked to Bill Khor at Craftsman Studio who said putting a 10* back bevel on the blade of a #4 would be about as effective as a high angle frog. The problem with higher angle is that it requires considerable effort to push.
I'm in the process of trying both suggestions.....tightening up the chip breaker setting works great.... and I bought a new blade to put a back bevel on to see how that works. I'll let you know asap about that experiment. But, I'm sure, there are others here who will answer the question for both of us.....profusely...
good luck,

Don

Print this item

An Interview with Carl Bilderback
Posted by: Slav Jelesijevich - 09-21-2014, 03:35 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (14)

Print this item

Card scrapers.
Posted by: Alaric - 09-20-2014, 06:24 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (5)

Alaric said:

... I decided to take the card scraper to the dresser. I have to say, I'm converted. Fast. Efficient. Beats the hell out of sanding. And smooth as can be. I did hit it with the sander afterwards, but I swear the sander roughed it up.

... Somebody's handiwork from long ago is all set for a new life.

A treasure, waiting to be found by YOU! KUDOS!!!

In case you need a little help sharpening the scrapers, here are some articles on scrapers (my blog). .

Three of the articles are of Christopher Schwarz at Woodworking in America 2008 (Berea, KY). I was allowed to film the events during the conference. I split the original video into 3 sessions, for easier watching.

Enjoy!

Al

If your would rather NOT go to my blog, I post the videos here - you will likely have to turn up the volume on your speakers or headset:

Scrapers, Part 1.

Scrapers, Part 2.

Scrapers, Part 3.

Print this item

Need help from Military friends
Posted by: rhino - 09-16-2014, 11:17 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (8)

A small (18-24" diameter) wooden wheel styled after the sailing ships would be great, especially if you built it.

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.