Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,512
» Latest member: tsimmons
» Forum threads: 66,091
» Forum posts: 1,024,226

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 706 online users.
» 15 Member(s) | 688 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, Facebook, Petertaylor, lincmercguy, pconroy, EatenByLimestone, Ridgeway, Poppa Cap, SteelyBob, fredhargis, BrokenOlMarine, boardmaker, ronwhit

Latest Threads
Question about Garage Doo...
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: EatenByLimestone
11 minutes ago
» Replies: 6
» Views: 258
Free Alternative to Sketc...
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: JDuke
1 hour ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 256
New Dinette Table for Dau...
Last Post: MstrCarpenter
Yesterday, 10:08 PM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 926
New Roof Question
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: Cub_Cadet_GT
Yesterday, 05:16 PM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 957
Shelf on Coffee Table
Last Post: barnowl
Yesterday, 02:07 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 144
"we have a Plan"
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: bandit571
Yesterday, 01:19 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 578
Felder Format 4 Kappa 40 ...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: FrankAtl
Yesterday, 10:50 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 134
Ocean Bowl
Forum: Woodturning
Last Post: mtrainer90
Yesterday, 09:18 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 62
Cast iron stains
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: BarryO
09-17-2024, 08:38 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 424
2HP Oneida Dust Gorilla C...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: fredhargis
09-17-2024, 01:36 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 213

New Longworth chuck
Posted by: pinky - 09-11-2014, 02:20 PM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (14)

Just received a Longworth from BloomingtonMike. Got it quickly, well made, and priced right. Tried it out today. 15" walnut bowl.

Print this item

A recent dovetail saw, koa handle
Posted by: Isaac S - 09-09-2014, 07:58 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (14)

I dearly love Koa but aside from being hard to get it is mondo spendy. I treasure the one board that I have.

Print this item

Secret Santa 2014!
Posted by: highpi - 09-03-2014, 07:20 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (38)

Woohoooo!!
I get to be a part this year after having to miss last year. PM sent.

Print this item

"Raising Pistachio"
Posted by: C. in Indy - 09-03-2014, 03:28 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (3)

That's very cool.

I've seen Claro Walnut at that juncture where its grafted to whatever root stock before, but never Pistashio.

With all the fruit woods around I've tried to get some but the growers are tight with it. I'm not as local to it as those that are obtaining it though I'm sure.

Is the Pistachio the lighter more reddish of the two colors?

Print this item

The Great Alaskan Bowl Co.: More Than Just Wooden Bowls
Posted by: Blacky's Boy - 09-03-2014, 07:01 AM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (5)

Great story, Dom, thanks for posting it.

Mel

Print this item

Some past tool saves
Posted by: C. in Indy - 08-26-2014, 06:50 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (3)

Chris in Indy, we need to meet sometime! Nice saves.

Print this item

Hand Tool Cabinet Planning and Building...
Posted by: titanxt - 08-21-2014, 11:15 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (18)

First design question... BB plywood or I have a lot of cherry stacked up in my garage. Do I display some craftsmanship (if all goes well...) by using solid wood, or go the quicker route and use ply?

Andy

Print this item

sharpen a card scraper
Posted by: Daniel - 08-19-2014, 07:39 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (7)

Daniel said:

I'm having difficulties sharpening my card scraper. It's a recent purchase from Peachtree WW and I got a Crown burnisher as well. It actually came with a decent hook. I played with it a bit making some shavings and then wanted to move on to practice renewing the edge.

I've watched several different video techniques, mainly following this. I made the file guide, honed til shiney, and began burnishing. I'm scratching the heck out of the burnishing tool but cannot get a hook. I'm holding the tool at about 5-10 degree angle to the scrapers edge and using quite firm pressure.

Does anyone have any additional tips I could employ-- amount of pressure, hone longer, 'roll' or burnish the face edge harder? I'm curious if the scraper itself is too hard and possibly that is the main trouble.

Did it come easier to you? Thanks!

Try a series of strokes gradually increasing in pressure until you feel the hook. If you use too much force the hook will get rolled back toward the scraper.

Print this item

The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn
Posted by: BloomingtonMike - 08-16-2014, 03:02 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (683)

Not really a "workshop" forum here so I will start a thread in the woodworking forum.
I have been out of shop space for a long time. Ive added a CNC mill and metal lathes and a mill drill and it really pushed me to my limit.

I am building my own personal Tech Shop/Makerspace - I call it the Mikiespace.

Bloomington IL cant really sustain a membership based real tech shop and all the makerspaces we do have are all 3d printer and small electronic based offices. I want a Makerspace that has tools to do everything and room to teach and learn and room to change the focus of the events to the whims of the visitors. I hate panels and boards of people that only sit around and have meetings about this crap. I have been promoting DOERS here for awhile and have a group of guys I work with that also get things done - guitar build, motorcycle builds, cnc machines, etc. A couple months ago I had had enough talking about it and started researching. It was time to fix my space issues if I wanted to do more.

I changed all the power on my property to 400amp service/ installed a new meterbase and a couple 200 amp disconnects. Got a gas and line trenched and last Thursday I had an Indiana Amish crew come in and start my new pole barn. Here it is as of 5pm Friday 8/15. It will have a 5" thick concrete floor with radiant floor heat. There will be a 10X24 porch and two 14X14 overhead doors. Local crew will do the concrete. Eventually it will have a loft in part for a second story.

Anyway thought I would share the current adventure pic. Skidsteer in the back looks tiny LOL.[Image: endday2_zps8540a07d.jpg]

[Image: endday2_zps8540a07d.jpg]

Print this item

Knife Grinder II
Posted by: gMike - 08-12-2014, 12:53 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (9)

Your current belt speed is about 2700 sfpm. A 3" drive wheel will give you 1350, and a 4" will give you 1800.

sfpm = (diameter of drive wheel in inches) x (3.14) x (motor rpm) / (12 in/ft)

The idler wheel has no bearing on the belt speed, so you may not need to replace it if you can adjust it to take up the slack created by the smaller drive wheel.

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.