Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,420
» Latest member: jdfnnl
» Forum threads: 65,077
» Forum posts: 1,007,987

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 385 online users.
» 9 Member(s) | 373 Guest(s)
Facebook, Google, DaveM_7766, lincmercguy, TFM, RobertNP, Ken T., MudDuck, DickA

Latest Threads
Some saws (on request)
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: Aram
Yesterday, 08:12 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 432
A Project for May?
Last Post: bandit571
Yesterday, 06:57 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 689
Retractable Electrical Ho...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: Tapper
Yesterday, 02:49 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 1,062
390 segment flower petal ...
Forum: Woodturning
Last Post: FrankAtl
Yesterday, 12:36 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 110
Home made plane better th...
Last Post: Derek Cohen
05-08-2024, 07:00 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 677
Gutter Guards
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: Snipe Hunter
05-08-2024, 05:25 PM
» Replies: 12
» Views: 562
Millers Falls
Last Post: Tony Z
05-08-2024, 05:07 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 274
WTB: Leigh RTJ400 Router ...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: Paladin
05-08-2024, 04:18 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 105
Presenting: The RAS Mite...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: jteneyck
05-08-2024, 12:24 PM
» Replies: 36
» Views: 1,676
New Shop Photos - Randy C
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: iclark
05-07-2024, 11:01 PM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 1,121

WTB 18-20" planer near Cincinnati
Posted by: castguy2003 - 03-21-2019, 05:15 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - No Replies

My son-in-law is looking for a good 18 - 20" thickness planer. He lives about 30 miles from Cincinnati in Lebanon Ohio
If you have any leads PM me and I will forward to him.

Print this item

SOLD - 3 Live Edge Oak Slabs (Houston, Texas)
Posted by: deepcreek - 03-21-2019, 03:43 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (2)

Live Edge Oak Slabs

SOLD  $150 for All Three (Local Pickup Only)
$75 Each or $200 for All Three (Local Pickup Only)

A - Vintage White Oak 71-3/4 Long x 18-3/4 to 21-34 Wide x 1 11/16 Thick

B - Shumard Red Oak 79-1/2 Long x 16-1/2 to 18-3/4 Wide x 1-15/16 Thick

C - Shumard Red Oak 79 Long x 14-3/4 to 18-3/4 Wide x 1-15/16 Thick

These are fully dried (approx. 7% moisture) and stored in a climate controlled shop.

They all show cupping to one degree or another (see photos). They can be used as is, flattened, ripped & rejoined, or ripped & reversed (river table style). You could also mill them into dimensional lumber.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

freud 8'' dado--sd 508
Posted by: joezjr - 03-21-2019, 02:28 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - No Replies

lightly used--$75---pick up --magnolia.de

Print this item

Oliver is not Oliver
Posted by: Smashedfinger - 03-21-2019, 11:46 AM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (25)

The Oliver machinery company that sells imported machinery under the Oliver name, isn't really the same Company we older woodworkers think of when we dream about how machines used to be made. That Company is....

http://www.eaglemachinery-repair.com/

Print this item

Craftsman screw driver build
Posted by: Cooler - 03-21-2019, 11:13 AM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (3)

This "screw driver" build is a blast to watch.  And check out his utility knife build at the end.

https://autoweek.com/article/wait-theres...dailydrive

Print this item

Installing crown on a corner cabinet
Posted by: Dumb_Polack - 03-21-2019, 11:08 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (9)

Hi,

I'm finishing up the install of the crown at our church rectory.  In one corner there's a cabinet that'll require the crown to be cut at a 22.5 degree angle.  Other than swinging the miter saw to 22.5 (and flipping the crown), any other tricks I should be aware of??  I looked around on Youtube to find instructions, but am I over thinking this?  (I could install the piece across the front of this cabinet and then cope the 2 corners that come into it, but I'd rather not.

Any tricks?

Print this item

Finally Got My Workbench Assembled
Posted by: AHill - 03-21-2019, 10:00 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (12)

Not quite a year after moving into my new home, I was finally able to get the top reattached to the base yesterday, thanks to some family help.  I have a Sjobergs Elite 2500 and it's a real beast of a bench.  The top easily weighs 200 lbs.  I built a custom cabinet with drawers for the bench when I purchased the bench several years ago that houses all my planes.  But the cabinet is mostly empty now.

When I moved to Orlando, the movers piled everything was into the garage.  Without any storage buildings or sheds, I had to cram all my gardening tools and other things in the garage.  The movers - whose English was not so good - labeled every box that came out of my California garage workshop as "tools".  Well, thanks!  So, I rented a storage facility and began to move items out of the garage and then slowly rearrange things so I had access to tool boxes and the like.  I had packed all my hand planes in their original boxes and moved those myself, so I know they are safe.  So, now, the major task will be to slowly reunite the tools in packing boxes to their homes in my workbench drawers and other places.  I'm also going to need to refinish the workbench surface, as it's got a lot of dust and stains from laying around, disconnected from its base.

The shop is smaller than my California shop, but I have a plan.  There might be something built before the end of the summer!

Print this item

Finish for Claro Walnut. Advice please.
Posted by: ed kerns - 03-21-2019, 09:27 AM - Forum: Finishing - Replies (7)

I'm about half way through a build of a Maloof style rocker. The wood is Claro Walnut. It is beautiful wood and I want to do it justice in the finish. I have never grain filled Walnut before, but I think it will be necessary here. Right now, I'm thinking of just creating a sanding slurry with the finish as opposed to using a commercial filler. I am also looking for a clear coat - I assume oil- that won't darken the wood too much as I don't want to lose the highlights in the multi colored wood. Obviously I will test the finish on scrap before I commit it to the project, but I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with some hands on knowledge. Thank you.

Print this item

Dovetail jig and sliding table
Posted by: tablesawtom - 03-21-2019, 09:27 AM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (7)

I have a Leigh D3 dovetail jig for sale. Asking $175 I have no manual or cutters. A lack of instructions and $175 kind of offsets the cost of a new one.The instructions for using it can be found on line  and the cutters will depend on the joints you wish to make. I would prefer local pick-up.  Finding a box the right size to ship it is difficult when you live 15 miles from the nearest stoplight, But  $200 plus shipping should help me cover my extra costs.

I saw where Powermatic just came out with a sliding table for basically $1400. It looks exactly like the Excalibur sliding table  of which I have two of. I would like to sell one of them for $375, local pick up only. The pictures shown are of my table installed on my saw. It is not the one for sale but it is exactly like it.

I also have a set of Keller Dovetail templates Asking $75 plus shipping. No manual or cutters

Thanks for looking.

Tom

Print this item

HVAC experts...
Posted by: R Clark - 03-21-2019, 06:18 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (9)

Situation:  In January 2018, our 14-year old heat pump compressor gave up the ghost.  We replaced that whole system with a new Lennox heat pump and propane aux burner.

Shortly after the install, we had to bring them back out because the new heat pump was not producing heat.  They had to do a partial refill of refrigerant.  They checked for leaks, found none, and decided that somehow they didn't get it fully charged during the install.  Also had to have another service call on a morning with no heat, but that was traced to a faulty brand-new thermostat they installed with the system.

System worked OK for the rest of the heating season and then the summer cooling season and into this brutal winter.  Two Sundays ago, I noted the heat pump cycle on for a couple minutes, then shut down.  A few minutes later, it cycled on again, and then shut down.  The temp in the house began to drop and the only way I could get heat was to switch the system into emergency heat mode at the thermostat.

Called out the service guy, same company that did the install.  After some checking, he determined the heat pump was in a lockout mode due to insufficient refrigerant.  He detected a leak in the A coil in the heat exchanger unit inside the house.  His recommendation was to replace the whole coil since it was under warranty, and he wasn't keen to solder the leaking seam on the coil that's covered by a warranty.

For more than a week, the HVAC company had no status nor expected receipt date for the replacement A coil from Lennox for a system that is under warranty.  After much follow-up and expressing my regret to the owner at having bought this $10K system, the HVAC company has finally tracked down an A coil.  But now they say they can't install and checkout until the outside air temperature reaches 70 degrees.  WTH?  They were willing to sell and install this system on a day in which it was 45 degrees.

So, this sad story is a long way to get around to the question:  Am I being told correctly that the outside air temp needs to be 70 degrees to recharge and check out this heat pump?

Was hoping that spending some extra coin on a Lennox system would result in an HVAC system that was more reliable than the old Trane system it replaced.  That hasn't been the case so far.

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.